Author Topic: chauveau/choveaux  (Read 1448 times)

Offline hoople

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
chauveau/choveaux
« on: Tuesday 16 December 08 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Louis Nicholas Choveaux and his wife Maria Frances retired to 'The Homestead', Claremont Hill, St.Helier, Jersey. c. 1900. They had lived in London prior to this.
Louis Nicholas' father, also Louis Nicholas, was born in 1797 in Hanover Sq. London and he was the son of another Louis Nicholas Choveaux and his wife Catherine Valable.
I cannot find the marriage of this latter couple to trace their origins. Did the family come from The Channel Islands and hence the move back there c.1900 ?
Any help appreciated.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: chauveau/choveaux
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hoople

Please link to previous threads to avoid duplication of effort.  For example:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,345474.msg2241351.html#msg2241351

In this case, LN and MF were married (legally or not) by the 1891 census, so it seems unlikely that searching for a marriage in the Channel Isles will help - but then again, who knows? ...

:D

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline hoople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Arranroots,
Yes, LN and MF were married prior to moving to Jersey. My request was probably unclear. I cannot find the marriage of LN and Josephine Valable c. 1797. I was kind of hoping that they could have come from the Channel Islands way back then.
They are more likely to have come from France, I know, but without access to French records it is hard to progress.
Perhaps there may be references to Choveaux somewhere along the line in the Channel Islands.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see

(That's Catherine VALABLE isn;t it?)

Channel Island records are quite hard to come by but I hope someone can help as its an interesting quest!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline hoople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Arranroots, forgetting my manners. Thanks for your replies and continued help on my behalf.

Regards, Hoople.

P.S. Just read your last reply. Yes, it's VALABLE>

Offline hoople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots, It was Josephine Valable; not Catherine.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 20:07 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth....

As the French who came to the CI's tended to come from Brittany or Normandy, there is a free French web-site that gives BMD's from Brittany called:

http://www.genealogie22.com/corail/cg22.php

That will test your French!!

Stewart