Author Topic: Cheltenham Parish Records lookup please  (Read 4381 times)

Offline jatraka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheltenham Parish Records lookup please
« on: Thursday 18 December 08 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a baptism for Edward/Edwin Stephens who married Matilda Green in Cheltenham 16 October 1837 (full age).   In the 1841 census he stated he was 25 yrs (which would make him between 25 & 30) born in county.  So he could have been born circa 1812-1816.  He stated his father was James Stephens (labourer) on his marriage certificate.  The closest I have been able to find is IGI - Edwin Stephens christened 8.2.1808 Newent, parents James Stephens & Elizabeth.  Any help would be welcomed. Thanks Joan Smith, Melbourne, Australia
Maddison (one-name study & Peterborough, Northamptonshire),
Anderson & Grange (March, Cambridgeshire),
Attwood (Frome, Somerset),
Barber & Walthew (Birmingham, Warwickshire)
Chacksfield (Tenterden, Kent)
Gibson (Horsham, Sussex)
Pepper (Peterborough, Northamptonshire)
Smith (Margate Kent & Sth Newton, Wiltshire)
Milne & Muir (Sanday, Orkney Islands)
Stafford & Whitehead (Manchester, Lancashire)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Cheltenham Parish Records lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Joan,

I suppose you found Edwin S. in the Newent baptisms via http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(N-Z).htm#N    Did you notice that the parents of Edwin did not appear to have any other children: or at least between 1808 and 1812?  The possible reasons give food for thought perhaps.

There seems to be no parish within 5 miles of Cheltenham which has not had its church records filmed and data extracted by the LDS - I used Parloc ( http://parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/parlocdl.html ) and the LDS library.  It might be an idea to check further afield than 5 miles.  If you find somewhere and are really up a gum tree, hiring and searching the film might bring something but it's a very long shot :'(

But anyway, merry Christmas :)

Chas

P.S.

Then there's always the possibility of an R.C. persuasion.  R.C. records seldom filmed.
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 08 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

I have had a quick look at the census records in the hope that a bit more information may come to light.  I can only find the marriage entry for Edward Stephens and Matilda Green and the 1841 census for Edwin Stephens and Matilda Green and their daughter Ellen 7 months.

I have tried all sorts of combinations on their names to try to find them in 1851 but nothing is apparent.

The Edwin Stephens from Newent was working as a servant in 1841 and yours is a bricklayer.  Newent is at least 20 miles from Cheltenham.

On the census for 1841 they were living in Naunton Crescent Cheltenham and did you notice that just before them was an entry for the Green family and he was a bricklayer too, just like Ed. Family perhaps although it looks as though Matilda was born outside the county.

I will keep looking for you and come back if I can throw any more light on your ancestor.

Best wishes
Elizabeth

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Have found burial of an Edwin Stephens age 27, June 1833 Newent. Although the age is out by one/two years, this could be the one baptised in 1808  :-\

Edwin of Newent's father died in 1813 aged 31, his mother Elizabeth re-married in 1817 to George Buckland.

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline jatraka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 08 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. 
Have found burial of an Edwin Stephens age 27, June 1833 Newent. Although the age is out by one/two years, this could be the one baptised in 1808  :-\
Edwin of Newent's father died in 1813 aged 31, his mother Elizabeth re-married in 1817 to George Buckland.
Susan  :)
Thanks Susan, yes I was tied up with this Edwin Stephens for quite a while, haven't found a connection there yet!  But he wasn't my Edwin Stephens as he died 1833 and my Edward Stephens married Matilda Green 1837.

Gibson (Horsham, Sussex)

Offline jatraka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 08 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

I have had a quick look at the census records in the hope that a bit more information may come to light.  I can only find the marriage entry for Edward Stephens and Matilda Green and the 1841 census for Edwin Stephens and Matilda Green and their daughter Ellen 7 months.

I have tried all sorts of combinations on their names to try to find them in 1851 but nothing is apparent.

The Edwin Stephens from Newent was working as a servant in 1841 and yours is a bricklayer.  Newent is at least 20 miles from Cheltenham.

On the census for 1841 they were living in Naunton Crescent Cheltenham and did you notice that just before them was an entry for the Green family and he was a bricklayer too, just like Ed. Family perhaps although it looks as though Matilda was born outside the county.

I will keep looking for you and come back if I can throw any more light on your ancestor.

Best wishes
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your help.  Ellen Stephens was my G.G.Grandmother who married James Barber in Melbourne 1857. 
I am still thinking that maybe Edward died and Matilda came to Australia with Ellen, but I haven't been able to find them coming into Australia, or leaving.
The Green family that were living next door were Matilda's parents.  But why she stated she wasn't born in the county in the 1841 census is a mystery.
Thanks again
Joan
Gibson (Horsham, Sussex)

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
hello Jatraka,
Do hope you can see this reply, I am also related to the Greens from Matilda's Father Joshua Green Mother Betty Hailing.  I think  Matilda was born at Newent. Then moved to Cheltenham.  Edwin, Matilda and Ellen moved to Australia, Matilda died Edwin married soon after, starting a new family.
On Ance*ry  a  relative from the new Stephens family was also looking for Edwin's ancestors.
Louisa

Offline jatraka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 13 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa,  Thanks for replying to me Edwin/Matilda/Ellen Stephens query.  I can only find an Edwin Stephens marrying Elizabeth Tempany in Aust. 1882.  He died 1889, father - Ernest, mother - Mary Weekes.  So far haven't been able to link the two together, but will keep trying.  thanks Joan
Gibson (Horsham, Sussex)

Offline marshall.hailing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 March 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my name is Marshall HAILING from Birmingham, England.
The Matilda GREEN you mention is one of my family tree members.
Matilda Green
* bapt. 16 Aug 1818 St. Marys church, Newent, Gloucestershire. (Abode was Gorsley, Newent, Gloucestershire.)
* marr. 16 Oct 1837 St. Marys church, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. (Abode was Exmouth Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.)
* her spouse was Edward STEPHENS (of 9 Cleeve Terrace, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.)
* her father is Joshua GREEN and her mother is Betty HAYLINGS (one of my family members)
* his father is Samuel STEPHENS, a Labourer.

I don't have any other information at the moment, but maybe it will help to unmuddy the waters a little bit.
regards
Marshall.
Hayling(s)
Hailing(s)
and any other close variants