Author Topic: COTTELL/CHAMPNEYS marriage around 1730 in Barnstaple district of Devon  (Read 2736 times)

Offline BHSyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COTTELL/CHAMPNEYS marriage around 1730 in Barnstaple district of Devon
« on: Saturday 20 December 08 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to confirm the link between the Champneys family of Yarnscombe, Devon and an Alexander Cottell who was born in Marhamchurch, Cornwall in 1696.

The following Cottell family history is taken from a pamphlet “A History of the Cotel, Cottell or Cottle Family” which was published by W H Cottell in 1871:

‘…In tracing out the pedigree of this family the writer found, at the Record Office, Fetter Lane, two Chancery Bills, which narrate how Alexander Cottell of Marhamchurch, gentleman, being a widower and an old man and all his three sons being dead, married in the year 1695, Phoebe, daughter of John Gifford, of Launcells, gentleman, and had issue, Alexander Cottell, and dying in 1696, left his said wife Phoebe guardian to the estate of his infant son and heir; and how, within one month of the old man’s death, she intermarried with one Francis Keast, “who had for many years been a servant belonging unto the said family.”  In a short time after, the said Phoebe dies, and then John Gifford, the grandfather, as next friend to the infant representative of the dead January and May, filed the bills in Chancery to obtain possession of a farm, lands, and other properties of the child, which were then held by and being appropriated to the use and benefit of the said Francis Keast.
This Alexander Cottell grew to manhood, and after serving his articles in Penzance as an attorney, about the year 1720 married Sarah, daughter of Mr. Samuel Phillips, of Pendrea, and for some time resided at the manor-house of Aldercombe, in the parish of Kilkampton, which had been held for many years on lease for lives by the Cottell family.  His wife dies on the 17th of August, 1727, in her 30th year (as recorded on a monument in Kilkampton Church), and he soon after married Ann, daughter and heiress of Joyns Champneys, Esquire, of Yarnscombe, Devon.  He appears to have led a reckless life, and to have dissipated the whole of his property.  The living descendants of this gentleman have not been traced; those, however, of his uncle Mark, are represented by the Cottells of St. Tudy, near Bodmin.’

I can find records to support many of the persons and events mentioned above but it’s quite difficult to directly confirm the marriage of Alexander Cottell and Ann who was the daughter and heiress of John Champneys esquire of Yarnscombe, Devon.  I can find the following record:

m. Alexander Cottell & Anne Bowen, 13/6/1730, Ilfracombe, Devon (IGI)

Ilfracombe is about 15 miles from Yarnscombe.  Perhaps this Anne Bowen was marrying for a second time and perhaps her maiden name was Champneys?  This suggests the following series of events which I'm trying to find records to confirm:

b. John Champneys, christened 13/1/1685 at Yarnscombe, Devon (d. 1717 or earlier)
Father: John Champneys, Mother: Joyce Lamb

m. John Champneys (b. 1685) & female X ????

b. Anne or Ann Champneys (daughter of John Champneys & female X) ????

m. Anne Champneys (daughter of John Champneys & female X) & male Bowen ????

d. male Bowen no later than 1730 ????

m. Alexander Cottell & Anne Bowen, 13/6/1730, Ilfracombe, Devon (IGI) ????

Children of Alexander Cottell & Anne Bowen:
b. William Cottell (eldest surviving son, so born before 1738) ????
b.  James Cottell, christened 27/8/1732, Ilfracombe, Devon (IGI), d. < 1738 (?)
b.  James Cottell, christened 26/12/1738, Ilfracombe, Devon (IGI)
b.  Henry Cottell, christened 26/12/1738, Ilfracombe, Devon (IGI)

I’d much appreciate any assistance towards finding any direct links between Cottell, Champneys & Bowen as mentioned above.

Best regards,
CM

Offline sallyCornwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COTTELL/CHAMPNEYS marriage around 1730 in Barnstaple district of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
OK so I have just come across a newspaper clipping and was working with the information and then did a search and found your on the exact same topic.

I am coming from the direction of Anne Bowen nee Elmestone.

Her father is listed as John Elmestone Vicar of Ilfracombe so I know that this Anne Elmestone married a Thomas Bowen...so to discover that she may be Anne Cottel came as a surprise to me and indeed I found an Ann Bowen marrying Alexander Cottel.  So Ann Bowen did marry twice but not to a Champneys.

I am in the middle of discovering how John Champneys is Ann Elmestones Grandparent...I can only deduce at this stage that her connection is through her grandmother Dorothie married to my John Elmestone

Anne Elmestone   
Born 18 December 1694 - Ilfracombe devon
Deceased in 1773, aged 79 years old
Buried 22 April 1773 - Yarnscombe, Devon

Parents
John Elmestone 1665-1724
Dorothie Mrs Elmestone

Spouses
 Married 15 June 1719, St Peter Cathedral Exeter Devon, to Thomas Bowen
 Married 13 June 1730, Ilfracombe, Devon, to Alexander Cottel 1697-1760

Offline BHSyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Sally,

It's many years since I looked at the Champneys but you're spot on.  If you can somehow provide an e-mail address (eg Gmail) then I can send you a PDF copy of some detailed family tree sheets for the Champneys and Cottells (and a few Elmestons).  The fruits of my research a decade ago.  The Elminstone name flows down through the generations of Cottells to one of Ann's great granddaughters.  Or maybe I could post the PDF here if attachments are supported these days on Rootschat.

Best regards,
BHSyd
Australia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Sally

You will need to reply on here a couple more times to use the PM system to exchange email addresses with BHSyd rather than post it on here for spammers to find  :) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyCornwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
OK feeling a little excited...perhaps I can turn off this laptop for a few minutes and just pray Mrs Dorothy Elmestone does have a maiden name. Thanks for offering to share your work. Hope we can use the message system soon.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 April 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
I can't help with the above but if you come across any Simon Cottle's, or John Shearme Cottle's of Morwenstow, they are my lot and I'm happy to share info.

Offline sallyCornwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
It is with much delight that I have a maiden name for my Mrs Dorothy Elmestone. She is indeed Dorothy Champneys :D.

Thankyou for your offers of help. My primary interest is the family name Elmestone.

It is really good to know that the Champneys and Cottells are being researched and knowing that fact I am choosing not to go there in my research. Its not that I am not interested its just I am on a huge mission of my own with the Elmestones.