Author Topic: Logans in Limerick  (Read 6312 times)

Offline cactusflowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Logans in Limerick
« on: Sunday 21 December 08 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am new to this board, and wondered if anyone can put me on the right trail of a James logan and Mary Byrnes/Burns believed to have been married in Limerick Ireland

I have son William Logan marriage Certificate from 1855 in Lossiemouth Scotland to Jane Henderson on the certificate it states, William  states his date of birth is uncertain month of birth uncertain and that he knew he was born in Limerick,
he states his parents were James Logan and Mary Burns

I found one marrige to such a couple on 27 September 1839 Saint Michael, Limerick, and also one such marriage but to a Mary Byrnes, also in Limerick

I found a William Logan born 22 November 1835 Killyleagh, Down, Limerick Ireland but this would have been 4 years before his parents marriage, which I know it quite possible, and that they could have married later,

has anyone researched this family, or is anyone knowledgeable about irish research, and where ic o uld find out about James and Mary and William had any siblings, and what became of them,

I do have williams death from Scotlands people, and all his children, it is his siblings and parents that i really want to find out about,

William is Listed as a seaman on his marriage certificate as is his father james,  which suggests tome that they were not originally from Limerick as i believe Limerick was not a sea port, but i could be totally wrong on that point,

My knowledge of Ireland i am ashamed to say is Zero,

Thanks in advance,
K

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Logans in Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 08 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Limerick in Ireland is both a city and a county. The city of Limerick is on the River Shannon so your Logans could have been from Limerick if they had a connection to shipping, etc.
Civil registration in Ireland of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). Therefore, for earlier records you need to search for church records (if they exist).
As so few early Irish church records exist you can't really assume that any of the ones you've fund do belong to your family.
Either of the Logan-Burns/Byrnes marriages you found could be the correct couple but then again perhaps neither is the right one.
Where did you get the 'Killyleagh, Down, Limerick, Ireland' record for the birth of a William Logan? Killyleagh, County Down is in the present Northern Ireland on the opposite side of the country from Limerick (but not far from the west coast of Scotland).

It would be more logical to go back to Scottish records and check out everything for more clues. For example, have you traced William Logan in the Scottish census records to see if he gave a county of birth rather than just 'Ireland'? What about looking for his parents in Scotland in case they also moved there?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cactusflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 08 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

I got Williams birth from the IGI on the Familysearch.org site, also the marriage for his parents,

I have tried Scotland's people for the Logan family, but found nothing on James or Mary Burns/Byrnes seems they were both alive at the time of Williams marriage in 1855 as it did not state deceased on the marriage certificate, so I would presume that they (James and Mary) were still in Ireland, and also as William did not know how old he was or what month he was born or even a year, i went with a preliminary date of 1839 as stated on the Family search site, though I cannot be certain this would be the same family,

I dont have acess to the 1851 onwards census records, at the moment with the recession here in the States, i have to watch every penny, until things improve a bit, I have to try all the free sites first

I did some time ago download a birth certificate for a James Logan from an irish site born on the 26-03-06 in St Muchins CO Limerick he was the son of a James Logan (Seaman) and Mary Boland I have no Idea if this would be Williams father, I fet like i was flying into blind alleys, there is also a marriage on that site for a James logan and Mary Byrnes, but ic annot remember if the date was the same, I had ran out of credits and promised myself i would go back and download it at a later date, then the recession came

I will check the 1841 census again and see if i can find anything on his parents,

Offline AlexinaLouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just researched back to William Logan, he is my great-great grandfather, and the first time I realised I had an irish connection myself. Are you related also? I'm planning to do some more research (not sure when...) - so can let you know how I get on. My father was from Scotland, not far from where William settled with his family when he moved there as a small child (1840-ish), I'm a Logan living in London. Anyhow, just did a search for William and Killyleagh on google and your post came up - so i joined to write to you. Best of luck with your search.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, AlexinaLouise.

Have you been able to find the correct marriage for William's parents?

Offline AlexinaLouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:32 GMT (UK) »
hello there, no, I've not got that far. Just that his father was also a William Logan born in Ireland in 1811.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Cactusflowers hasn't been online since 2008 but at the time of the original posts I urged caution about linking these online records to the same person.

If William was born in Co. Down in 1835 his parents could have married after his birth (but baptism perhaps under mother's name) but unlikely they went so far west to Limerick to do so.

Offline casa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 December 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there alexinalouise, I think you and my husband share the same great great grandfather william logan son of james and mary Logan (Byrnes). Let me know if you pick up this message and I will give you more info.
Jo

Offline AlexinaLouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 December 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
hello jo, please do share any info you have, that would be ace. i've recently moved and haven't a clue where i left my paperwork with the family tree... thanks for getting in touch, karen