Author Topic: early 1800's Pearson marriage-South Shields  (Read 4300 times)

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
early 1800's Pearson marriage-South Shields
« on: Monday 22 December 08 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I need help finding a marriage license for Joseph Pearson (abt 1783) with Margaret (abt 1781). Joseph was a blacksmith. I found a Margaret Stephenson who married Joseph Pearson in South Shields at St. Hilda's in May 1810. Would it state the husband's occupation? I found 2 others; one in Gateshead in 1801- Margaret Scott; and one in Jarrow-1803- Margaret Mustard. Any suggestions to determine which is the right one?
Thanks.

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: early 1800's Pearson marriage-South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 December 08 23:50 GMT (UK) »
hello  :).

have you tried looking on the igi website as it quite often gives occupation in the details.

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have not tried that. Thanks for answering so quickly. I am overwhelmed.
Kathy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you traced the couple through all the census?  Did they survive until 1851?   What did they call their children?   Often these are family names so looking at the parents of the various Margarets might give you a clue.
I have not often seen occupations on the IGI for anything that early but you can always order the original parish register films to search at your nearest LDS centre as there may be further information on them.   The witnesses on each marriage record might help too.   I assume you do know that the IGI is not full coverage so it is entirely possible that they married in a parish that is not on it and you may have to look at other places too.
Have a look at the genuki site and follow up some of the links for various Durham marriage indexes on there.
Regards
Andrea

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 04:04 GMT (UK) »

Have you traced the couple through all the census?  Did they survive until 1851?   What did they call their children?   Often these are family names so looking at the parents of the various Margarets might give you a clue.
I have not often seen occupations on the IGI for anything that early but you can always order the original parish register films to search at your nearest LDS centre as there may be further information on them.   The witnesses on each marriage record might help too.   I assume you do know that the IGI is not full coverage so it is entirely possible that they married in a parish that is not on it and you may have to look at other places too.
Have a look at the genuki site and follow up some of the links for various Durham marriage indexes on there.

Andrea,
I have traced the couple through the censuses and lose them after 1861 where Margaret is now a widow. They had 4 children, Joseph(named after John's father), Thomas, Amelia and Margaret(have had a difficult time as there are Margarets in every generation, either a daughter or a wife). As for the various Margaret's, I don't know any of the names of their parents. I got their names through various sites (Durham records, Joiner marriages,etc). Thanks for your help.
Kathy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 08:37 GMT (UK) »
So where were they born according to the census?   That might cut out some of the Margarets.
Andrea

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 December 08 00:50 GMT (UK) »
According to the census records, Margaret was born in Shields. I do not have a birth place for Joseph. In the 1841 census, it states that he was not born in the county and it does not state where. I cannot find him in the 1851 census and his wife is a widow by the 1861 census. The first two of their children were born in South Shields so I thought maybe they were married there. Margaret Stephenson married in South Shields so that is why she is most likely. Margaret Scott married in Gateshead and Margaret Mustard married in Jarrow. I believe they are all close to each other?
Thanks for all of the suggestions. They help tremendously.
Kathy

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 December 08 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I assume you already have Joseph, a shipsmith, and Margaret in 1841, living at Stockport St. in Middlesbrough, and you already have Margaret living with widowed daughter Catherine Walton and assorted grandchildren (two of daughter Catherines children and two of son Johns children) in Middlesbrough in 1861.

Joseph and Margaret are living in the same street in 1851 as in 1841:
1851 census. HO107/2383 p.40.
Stockport St., Middlesbrough,
Joseph Pearson, Head, 67, Shipsmith, b. Northumberland, Newburn
Margaret Pearson, Wife, 70, b. Northumberland, Hartley
John Walton, Visitor, 7, b. Middlesbrough.

I know Margaret is down as being born in Shields, Durham in 1861, but the census records often have mistakes, she obviously lived in Shields a long time as her children were all born there.

From the South Shields St. Hilda parish records :
Margaret Pearson, born Nov 28th 1805, baptised June 25th 1806, 2nd daughter of Joseph Pearson, Blacksmith, native of Newburn, Northumberland, by his wife Margaret Mustard, native of Hartley, Northumberland.
Looks to be one of several children of Joseph Pearson and Margaret Mustard baptised in South Shields. This looks to be your Joseph and Margaret and family.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't have Margaret as one of the children. I have John, Joseph, Catharine and William. I found several children by Joseph and Margaret Mustard in the IGI but those that actually list Margaret Mustard as mother are none of these 4 above. Joseph is a blacksmith but is also a blacksmith with the other children. All the above 4 were also christened at St. Hilda's. So do I assume that Margaret Mustard is the mother of all of them?
Thank you for your help.
This has been an interesting quest.
Kathy