Author Topic: Where to find ship jumpers?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline stooter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Where to find ship jumpers?
« on: Tuesday 23 December 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me with some information. I found out last year from distant relatives that my GG grandfather came out as a mariner with his brother from England (Liverpool dock - I think) and the ship was supposed to dock at Point Henry, Geelong. But because of a sand bar it couldn't, so they jumped ship. They apparently had an argument and my GG grandfather traveled to Maclean in New South Wales. Got married, had children moved to Queensland, had more children. I have all this information.

Now the problem I have is I can't find him on any ship, as a mariner or passenger or anything. The family in Australia know him as David Greenhill Scott. He was born in Manchester, England as Daniel Greenhill Scott. I have found his birth certificate from England, but can't find him on any census in England as a child, or what name he used on the ship. The information about how he came to be here was passed down through the family, so don't know how true it is.

Would anyone know where I could find anything about him jumping ship or where to look to find out where he was between when he was born and when I have him married in NSW? I seem to have come to a dead end. I have his parents and siblings from census records. But again am stuck. His parents came from Scotland and it doesn't say where in Scotland on the English census records. I've even tried looking for his brothers name on records for Victoria, as he apparently stayed there.

Thanks for any help.

Merry Christmas. javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.postmodify.message);

Scott, Smith, - Scotland, Manchester - England, NSW & Qld- Australia.
Melvin, Mitchell, - Scotland, Qld- Australia.
Saunders, Holland, - Buckinghamshire, Qld- Australia.
Dodds - NorthumberlandEngland, Senegal - West Africa, NSW & Qld- Australia. 
Bray, Kessell - Cornwall, South Australia, Qld, Australia.
Dowlan /Doolan- Leitrim- Ireland, Victoria-Australia. Eddleston, Cowell, - Durham -England, NSW-Australia.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find ship jumpers?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi stooter,
Please could you tell us some years and dates.

find out where he was between when he was born and when I have him married in NSW?

We do not know the dates of these events.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 01:40 GMT (UK) »
You took the words from my mouth Sue ;D

Mariac

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 04:46 GMT (UK) »
What year did he 'jump' ship? 
What is his brother's name and do you have David Greenhill's death cert...if so...how many years in Australia?

This looks like the Daniel/David Greenhill SCOTT and his family

I am wondering if the name David has been mistranscribed as Daniel.  I have done quite a bit of transcribing for UK BMD Lancashire- Births, and at times the writing in the registers is almost undecipherable.  The n's look like v's and I could visualize a poorly written David with an upside down n and the d with a crooked stroke that could be read as an el.  Just my thoughts :)

.....I have found his birth certificate from England, but can't find him on any census in England as a child,   
Do you have his birth certificate...if so what are his parents names please.

Births Sep 1851   
SCOTT    Daniel Greenhill    Manchester    20/551

Marriage NSW
2605/1873     
SCOTT      David     
EDDLESTON      Elizabeth    
District Grafton

Births NSW all at Maclean with father David and mother Elizabeth
11801/1874  SCOTT William Richard
12714/1877  SCOTT David G
13650/1878  SCOTT George
14942/1883  SCOTT James Laing
17182/1885  SCOTT Jessie Clarence    

Qld Births

1887/C1623   Scott   Minnie   David Greenhill   Elizabeth Eddleston
1889/C2050   Scott   Marguerite   David Greenhill   Elizabeth Eddleston
1891/C2205   Scott   Walter Herbert   David Greenhill   Elizabeth Eddleston
1893/C1801   Scott   Rowland   David Greenhill   Elizabeth Eddleston
1895/C1997   Scott   Evaline   David Greenhill   Elizabeth Eddelston

Probably the children of David G b.1877

1903/C1403   Scott   Isabella Eveline May   David Greenhill   Mary Ann Keith
1906/C1701   Scott   Grace Elizabeth Doreen   David Greenhill   Mary Ann Keith

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stooter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 08 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply's. Sorry for so long in replying, But Christmas has been a bit hectic!!!

Yes Cando, that is him. I have all that information. But don't know anything between when he was born in Manchester (I do have his birth certificate - his parents names are William Scott and Jannet Smith) and the information you have put up there.

We first thought that it might have been misread, but looking at all the other information on the birth cert his name was Daniel.

I don't know what year he jumped ship. That is why I was asking if anyone knew where I could look for ship jumpers.

Trying to do this while entertaining friends, so if anymore information is needed please let me know.

Thanks again for any help.

Dowlan /Doolan- Leitrim- Ireland, Victoria-Australia. Eddleston, Cowell, - Durham -England, NSW-Australia.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 December 08 07:34 GMT (UK) »
There may be a possibility that he was reported to authorities and his name  may have appeared in a Government or Police Gazette...however other than those resources I have no idea how you would find any information.

From previous post...
What is his brother's name and do you have David Greenhill's death cert...if so...how many years in Australia?

It would be interesting to see the parents' names on David Greenhill's marriage certificate in 1873...do you have that cert?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stooter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 December 08 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando,

I don't know his brother's name that jumped ship with him. In the 1851 English Census there is a brother Robert who is age 1. David/Daniel was born 17th August 1851, at 2 Ridgeway Street, Manchester. His father William was an Engineer.
So I thought the brother that came with him may have been Robert.  But in 1871 he was unmarried and an Engine Fitter at works living with his married sister in Deptford. So may not be the other ship jumper.

All this information about ship jumping was passed down through the family that I came across from doing family history. This is my Dad's side, my parents split when I was 4. So I grew up not knowing anything about them. I have all this information after much searching. So don't know how true the ship jumping is!!!!

I have his marriage certificate, and there is no information about parents. His wife Elizabeth Eddleston had to get her Mother's permission as she was under age. (Apparently she was 20 years and 9 months - not quite 21!!)

Family also say that David/Daniel was a master Mariner, but I can't find that information anywhere. I assume they would have records of all master Mariners but he isn't anywhere I've searched. It's like he was born then there is no record of him till he turned up in NSW, Australia and got married and had children. Bit mysterious!!! So I don't know where else to find out anything about him. I have some information from some census in England of his siblings. There is a record of his sister's marriage, which I thought may give some information about his parents. So am going to order that certificate.

But it seems that the family weren't anywhere in England in 1861 as they aren't coming up on the census at all. It's like they disappeared!! So will keep searching. Is there a website for Government or Police Gazette in Australia that I may be able to look up to see if he was reported as a ship jumper?

Thanks again for your help.