Author Topic: The Dallow family.  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Dallow family.
« on: Friday 26 December 08 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Dallow branch of my family tree....
My 2 x great grandparents were John Dallow & Mary (nee Palmer).
Many surname variants have been used for the family throughout records including Dalloe, Dalloway, Dalley, Dallor etc.
Amongst their children were :-
Thomas Dallow, baptised at Dodderhill, Worcs on 19th June 1864.
Walter Dallow, baptised at Dodderhill on 1st Feb 1874 under the name of Dallor.
Elizabeth Dallow, baptised on 26th June 1864 at Dodderhill.
I have been unable to locate their birth registries so any help would be most grateful.
Elizabeth didn't appear on any census entries with the family so she may have died in infancy.
The family lived in In Liberties, Droitwich but moved to Birmingham sometime between the 1871 & 1881 census.
Their youngest son, Albert Dallow is believed to have been born in Birmingham about 1877 but I have been unable to locate his birth details.
The 1881 census shows the family living in Garrison Street, Bordesley, Birmingahm. The 1891 census shows the family still in Garrison Street with Albert shown as a 15 year old warehouse labourer.
By 1901, Albert is recorded as head of house in Watery Lane, aged 25, a metal dealer.
Any help regarding any info re. the Dallow family would be most appreciated please.
Thank you.
Treefan.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Dallow family.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 December 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You don't give details of the childrens ages on each census so I don't know whether the baptisms took place a long time after their births - particularly as Thomas & Elizabeth were christened a week apart in the same year

Thomas Dallow, baptised at Dodderhill, Worcs on 19th June 1864.

Elizabeth Dallow, baptised on 26th June 1864 at Dodderhill.

Do their ages on the censuses coincide with their baptismal years?

Thomas Walter Dallow September qtr 1859  Stourbridge 
Volume: 6c  Page: 148

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 December 08 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
Many thanks for your reply.
The census entries indicate that Thomas was born around 1864/1865 in Droitwich.
With regard to Elizabeth, her baptism took place on 26 June 1864 at Dodderhill, Worcs but she never appeared on any census returns with her family so there are no records to refer to to check her birth period and place.

Treefan.

Offline tahlia_burt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 24 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan.

im not sure if this answer will help you answer your question, but hopefully it points you in the right direction, as i believe we are related.

I believe that their son Albert that you mentioned is my 2x great grandfather (he died oct 10 1934). He was married to lily and they had 10 children (including 2 sets of twins). One of their children Albert John Dallow is my great grandfather and his son john dallow is my grandfather.

If this sounds like the correct dallow family to you, then I reccomend joining ancestry.com and searching for my great aunt angela foote. She has the full dallow family tree, which includes amazing historical information about the family and should answer every question that you have about our family.

also regarding the surname variances:
Albert Dallow’s family history is the Dallow’s were canal builders, they originally came from France and it is believed the name was spelt Dalleau  (eau for water) and they were well known canal builders in France and were called on to start building the canals around Birmingham and regions around there. Further generations became lock owners is in canal locks where they changed level of the water ways for boats to travel.  Canal boats were the main transportation to move food and stock around England until railways came along.  You had to pay money to travel through a lock and that is how our ancestors made a living, they also used to sell food and produce from their gardens as well.