Author Topic: need help tracing my grandfather from england  (Read 18690 times)

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need help tracing my grandfather from england
« on: Friday 02 January 09 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I need help tracing my grandfather, but i don't know if this is the right place to ask, seeing i am new too this all.
My dads name is Henry John Willis and he was born in england on November 12, 1919, and died in canada  january 26, 1998.
My grandfathers name was Walter J. Willis, and my grandmothers name was Maude Willis.

Sorry put thats all i know right now, any help would be greatly appreciated, because i am trying to give my daughter a past!!!

Thank You

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need help tracing my grandfather from england
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 09 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a birth registration for a Henry J WILLIS (mothers maiden name MEGAN) in the Dec Qtr 1919, St Martin Registration District, Vol 1a Page 780a  and a marriage between Walter James WILLIS & Maud Louise MEGAN in the June 1908 qtr, St Giles Registration District, Vol 1b Page 1054. You can purchase marriage certificate from the GRO (link below) for 7 GDP. This will give you the names and occupations of their fathers which will help to go back further.  Both registration districts are in London.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Andy

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 January 09 06:31 GMT (UK) »
If that is so how do i go about getting thoughs papers, and where do i start at that site????

Thank You

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 January 09 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sifer,

Do you know when your father emigrated to Canada?  There is a possible immigration record for the family in 1920 - the names are all initials but the parents match up (assuming the Walter & Maud Megan marriage is correct).  This family departed Liverpool on board the Corsican on 10 Sep 1920, bound for the port of Quebec:

W.J., age 34, labourer
M.L., age 34, wife
W.J., age 11
C.M., age 8
L.M., age 4
H.J., age 3/12

Did your father have any siblings and if so do they match up with these initials?  Using these ages, I searched for the parent's births and found a Maud Louise Megan, birth registered in Pancras in Dec 1887 Vol 1b Page 48.  This led to a census find in 1891 (RG12 Piece 218 Folio 73 Page 78) at 21 New North Street in Holborn:

John Megan, age 36, born Strand London, occupation House painter
Mary C, age 35, wife, born Strand London
Ada M, age 10, born Holborn
Edith E, age 9, born Holborn
Rosina, age 7, born St Pancras
Maud Louisa, age 4, born St Pancras
Florence May, age 1, born St Pancras

By 1901, John Megan had died (possible match in Dec 1899, St Pancras Vol1b Page 15, age 44yrs) and Mary was a widow living with three daughters - Edith, Maud and Florence - at The Bells Dwellings, 178 Drury Lane in Holborn (RG13 Piece 238 Folio 51 Page 33).  Their occupations are all listed as Flower Seller.

There are a few possible matches for Walter John, in Berkshire and Oxfordshire - do you have any idea where in England he was born?  Did he die in Canada, if so where?  His death registration might contain his place of birth which would narrow the search.

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 January 09 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Sifer,

You can order the certificates via the link that Andy gave you. Click on "order certifcate online" and follow the instructions. You will need to fill in the online form with the names, dates, volume and page numbers and pay online using a credit card.

It's quite easy.

PS. Welcome to rootschat!

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 January 09 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I know that my dad had one brother the oldest who's name was jim willis, he also had three sisters, two were older then him and one was younger then him, they were as far as i know in this order, jim willis, margaret willis, carolyn willis and lucy willis.

thats the best i can do

my dad used to say that he came to canada when he was 2 or 3 years of age, but didn't say much more of it, i'am sorry to say, and neither did the rest of the family.

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 January 09 07:23 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather walter willis, i believe is buried in pleasantview memorial cemetary in fonthill ontario, canada.

I believe he died in port colborne, ontario, but i don't know i did not know him at all!

Sorry thats the best i can do for now!

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 January 09 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I went back to the passenger list and checked the male/female column for the children -

W.J. - male
C.M. - female
L.M. - female
H.J. - male

Doubling checking on the FreeBMD site (http://www.freebmd.org.uk), I found these matches:

Walter James Willis, Jun 1909, Holborn
Caroline M Willis, Sep 1912, Strand, mother's maiden name Megan
Lucy M. Willis, Mar 1916, St Martin, mother's maiden name Megan

Also found one for Lilian G., Dec 1913, St Martin, mother's maiden name Megan.  She may have died in infancy although I couldn't find a death entry.  Couldn't find anything for a Margaret but the index isn't 100% complete either.

It looks like this might be your Willis family as the children's initials and ages all seem to match up.

We'll keep looking but for now, I am off to bed.  Back to work tomorrow  :'(

Lynwen

Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 January 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
looking at my grandfathers w.w.1 medals it says on the sides and the backs of his medals, w.j. willis 
11th london rifles regiment.

then it gives this number 2090   ??

think that is his service number not sure though

On top of this my dad used to say that when he went over to london during the w.w.2 he had met 2 sisters that were distant cousins of his!!!!

But again he never talked much about any of it, because of what he saw during that time, of the bombings, with the buzz bombs, and the V2 rockets

I don't know if that would help, hope So

Thanks
sifer