Author Topic: Kate Eade - continued  (Read 27372 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Eade - continued
« Reply #108 on: Friday 16 January 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Jay

When you have listed the cert, you say that it's Montague Road,...then further down below, you say Montague Garden...

Which is it?
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Billycourty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Friday 16 January 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
When I search for Montague in Acton, the census gives the results as Montague Garden

When I search for "7 Montague Road, Acton" in Google Maps I get 7 Montague Gardens Ealing, London W5, UK (near Acton)

But the Cert says 7 Montague Road, Acton

Hope it is clearer now.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Friday 16 January 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Okay, well, I viewed Montague ROAD...number 7...but neither of them came up as Acton...(This makes the serach capabilities really cr*p)  so I put in Garden...and the only one that came up was number 4, again no match.

None of the families seemed to fit, no yong kids etc...and no Kate Eade...
However, I did fine Rose Eade...and she was working fairly close by. (b,1884, Farnham Surrey)

The search on 1911 seems kooked anyway, as when I put in Eade, not a single first name beginning with K came up!

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Friday 16 January 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
and there is always this thought:

"9. And finally, it really would be interesting to see the birth cert of Philip J EADE, mother's name EADE (b Sep qtr & d Dec qtr Hackney 1911) - was this another child of Kate's?  IF it was, and depending on his birthdate, she might well have been pregnant and not working as a nanny at the time of the 1911 census ..." Added, (sorry)  from a post made by JAP

If Millie was born 21st December 1912, that picture with the kids may possibly have been taken at an earlier time...
She certainly doesn't look pregnant in the picture!

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 16 January 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Have a search on historicaldirectories.org for 'Montague Road' in the London area.

I had a quick search and for the Kelly's Directory of Ealing, Acton and Chiswick of 1911 had this entry:

MONTAGUE ROAD
West Ealing W
East Side:

7- Heditch, Wm Charles

That might be a lead for you?

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 16 January 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
MONTAGUE ROAD
West Ealing W
East Side:

7- Heditch, Wm Charles

I just searched for and found in Brentford William Charles Heditch, born 1877, but no result when searching for him with an Eade in the same household, unfortunately.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 22 January 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Anymore news on this one?

We have established who Kate is, but no closer to finding out who she was working for, or the father of Millie?

Jay, I'll send you via email the census transcriptions that I did view...just so that you can rule them off.  Can you Pm me your email again?

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 22 January 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
being at a bit of a loose end for a mystery, have been poking around on this thread again.

I have done a few searched on the 1911 census...haven't found Kate Eade for sure anyway, there is one possibility. Which I'll put up in a minute.

But regarding the Kennedy O'Brien Martyn's...I found them on the 1911 census, and regret to say, no Kate Eade..also thogh, there are only two children at home, Kennedy O'Brien jnr aged 14 (he's the oldest boy) and Agnes who is 11, no sign of the younger son, Brian i think he was.

I then did a couple of other searches, playing around with doctor as occupation, Kennedy as first name - nothing, Obrien as a surname - nothing Kennedy as a last name, 4 results showed up, only 2 in London area: John Kennedy - Bermondsey and a David Given Kennedy - Hampstead.

Another search I did was Eade & occupation Nursemaid...that came up with a Nellie Eade, b.1888, living in Kingston, Surrey

Okay, on Kate/Katherine Eade

katherine Eade - servant - single 24 - b. London Hammersmith -  working for Henry Arthur Dowsing living Fulham, London
kate Eade - Boarder - single - 22 - b. Whistable, Kent living at Epsom, Surrey
Kate Eade - servant - single 25 - b.Blackfriars London, working in Thakeham, Sussex (interestingly with a Mary Eade, aged 27, born same place)

So, at least these can be looked at and eliminated if required!  (I know I'm mad...but I had these credits left, and didn't have anyone that I could look up of my own...and I only viewed the transcripts :()

Offline dennisrichards49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 24 January 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
Just reporting back after arrival of some certificates.
  • I can report, unfortunately, that the following is not "our" Mary (nee Hawkins): Deaths Dec 1910 BENNETT Mary age 61 Brentford 3a 67
  • This is right though: Deaths Mar 1885 EADE Caesar age 29 Farnham 2a 67; Details are: Regn District = Farnham; Sub-District = Frimley; Counties of Surrey & Southampton. No. 328 Died 17th January 1885 at The Common, Ash, Surrey, RSD.  Caesar Eade, age 29, Labourer. Cause of Death; Phthisis 12 months; Certified by W W Young MD. Informant: John Dougherty, Present at the Death; The Common, Ash. Registered 20th January 1885 Geo. Day, Registrar.
  • This is probably right Death Cert for Mary's first child {ie Charles Hawkins b. 22 Dec 1873 to unknown father, I have this cert also} and a bit intruiging: Deaths Sep 1884 Eade Charles 10 Farnham 2a 61. Details are: Regn District = Farnham; Sub-District = Frimley; Counties of Surrey & Southampton. No. 75 Died 26th June 1884 at Ash, RSD.  Charles Eade, age 10, Infant child of a labourer. Accidental Death; Certificate received from Owen C Ward, Deputy Coroner for West Surrey, Inquest held 28th June 1884. Registered 3rd July 1884 Geo. Day, Registrar.  According to the West Surrey Family History Society it is highly unlikely that any Coroner's Inquest documents survive.  What is intruiging is that the area of Ash Common where the family lived was then crisscrossed with rifle ranges (and still is today: the Ash Common Firing Ranges) .  Maps show these ranges even in 1878.  It is possible that young Charles strayed into this area and was accidentally shot - It must have been a real tempation for a 10 year-old to get up close!- pure speculation, but with this family almost anything can be expected; wait for the next dot point
  • This is probably right Death Cert for Mary's 4th child {ie Alice Roe b. Mar 1880 in Byworth and recorded as this in 1881 when family was first seen living with Caesar Eade}. Details are:  Deaths Jun 1883 EADE Alice age 3 Farnham 2a 68. Details are: Regn District = Farnham; Sub-District = Frimley; Counties of Surrey & Southampton. No. 81 Died 8th May 1883 at The Common, Ash, Surrey, RSD.  Alice Eade, age 3, Daughter of Caesar Eade, a labourer. Cause of Death; Marasmus, 12 days; Certified by W W Young MD. Registered 8th May1883 Geo. Day, Registrar.  This is sad as the definition of Marasmus is A progressive wasting of the body, occurring chiefly in young children and associated with insufficient intake or malabsorption of food.  Perhaps the little girl was starving rather than ill.  Also of course Alice's father is not Caesar as written on the certificate.

As we can see 3 tragic deaths in 1 year and 8 months.  The last, husband Caesar, just 6 months before Mary Hawkins gives birth to our infamous Kate Eade.  So at the time of Kate's birth Mary has:
no Breadwinner;
a daughter Ellen Hawkins [Nelly] age 10;
a son Horace Roe aged 8;
a son Archie Eade age 3;
a daughter Rose Eade age 1.

Hat's off to Mary and those surviving children.  Remember 2 husbands are yet to appear and 2 children yet to be born: Daisy & Ada White!!!

The early scenario that perhaps Mary HAWKINS was "a black widow" bumping off successive husbands is the exact opposite of what she needed; a fit bread-winning partner.
Dennis