Author Topic: Seaman  (Read 1296 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Seaman
« on: Tuesday 08 February 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
My GreatGrandfather's occupation is listed as Seaman,does this mean that he was a Fisherman
or a Sailor, and where would I get more information.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I have many "Seaman" and "Master Seaman" and a few "Master Mariners" these are all sailor's on privately owned boats/ships.  The terms being found on census and BMD.

My research has found that most of them were coastal traders but a couple did the long haul and some ended up as fisherman but they are called fisherman on the census.  On the census I think you do see a difference if they are Royal Navy.

You may get some help here...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,12249.0.html

Depending on what records you want they are generally in Kew or Canada.

From the term seaman I would say - merchant navy i.e. private shipping.

Pam
 ;D

Best of look,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 05 01:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I think  these  sea jobs  listed on the censuses can mean anything sometimes. No really fast stuck rules.

I have quite a few "Mariners"  and "sailors"
Without looking through all my censuses  I have at  all my sea families ,I don't think I've had the term "Seaman" in any of the censuses though. I have just  one ancestor, listed with that term "seaman"which is  on  a marriage cert , and on  the birth cert of his son, as father's occupation.

I also have one which was in the merchant Navy, but I haven't traced this line back through the censuses, to see what he is listed as,  as it is not a blood line, I have enough trouble finding the blood lines without going off on another track lol ( second marriage the ancestor married a  captain  of the Navy daughter , after my poor  ancestor/wife died)

Some of the ones listed as being  Mariners I know to be working on the  Oyster Dredgers,  labouring on  the little skiffs.
 Others  that are listed with this  term "Mariner"  and what I consider to be  sailors , which I have found listed on  the long haul ships which sail around the world.

Others I have are Pilot families. One of my pilot  families in one census, father and one son were listed as pilots , other son in household was listed as "mariner"( they normally state if they are pilots, probably had something to do with holding a pilots licence.The one son who was not a pilot, probably didn't hold a  pilot licence and was  just working with his family on the pilot boats at a guess) .

Some of my Mariners and sailors are carpenters on  the ships

One  ancestor which was on the lifeboats for a period , and also listed as Mariner , and  as a sailor  throughout the  censuses. I found  out his main job to be on the dredgers only when I looked at the baptism records for his children - their  father was listed as "dredger " for his  occupation. Probably on the Oyster skiffs again ( I have hell of a lot of oyster dredgers listed as Mariners and sailors. Oystermouth families)

The one I have   on  the marriage cert the father of a groom is  listed  with the term "seaman" ( deceased), as too  the groom himself  is listed  with this "seaman" term  . I haven't got a clue what his  exact job on the boats/ships was though, as he  (the groom)married and died between censuses, and  I have no clue to what area he originally came from ( his address is listed as being the same as the bride's address at time of marriage).
I just have a name, and have found no  death for him yet ( although family legend says he hit a sandbank just off Swansea while fishing and drowned. I don't know how true that is, you know what legends tend to be like  ;D. If there is any truth in this , it seems this "seaman" who was listed on  a marriage cert  using that term was also a  fisherman,  he may be another Oysterdredger).

I don't know if you've  traced your "seaman" through all the  censuses , but sometimes  the other censuses ( if he is an adult in any of the other ones) may list  a little  bit more detail about his job if you are lucky.  One of my Oysterdredger for instance, was listed in the earlier censuses as "dredger" and  then another census  is  "oysterdredger", in 1901 The same man,when he is a widow,  and became a single man he becomes a "Mariner" , perhaps he though Mariner sounded  a little bit more  posh sounding  than oysterdredger. My carpenter on the ships was listed as Mariner,  and then as  sailor  in two of the censuses.

Maybe  looking for baptism records for the children of your "seaman" may give you some more clues to his exact job , if you haven't done so already. Maybe  they won't tell anything more either about his job , but you never know. I got lucky with one of my records, which told me what he did , instead of the more general term "mariner" and "sailor" which he was listed as in the census.

Just a few  thoughts/ideas for you  to track down what his job  exactly was. And I've probably  confused you with my post , I confuse myself  sometimes when I read through my own posts :D

Best wishes, and happy hunting
:)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u