Author Topic: Lookup please - (Dixon) uk passenger lists 1878 - 1960  (Read 759 times)

Offline pd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lookup please - (Dixon) uk passenger lists 1878 - 1960
« on: Thursday 08 January 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for a Samuel Edward Dixon b 1893ish in Liberia, Africa. He is believed to have departed from Sierra Leone and arrived in Liverpool. He was working as a seaman so may have jumped ship and so not come through the normal channels. He was living in Wales in 1907ish so date would be prior to that.

Again, not much info but thats all i've got.

regards
pd
Beeson, Booth, Brelisford, Clarke, Crawford, Cunningham, Davies, Fraser, Gould, Howl, Hodgetts, Humphrys, Isaac, Johnson, Jones, Kerr, McLeod, Newell, Newman, Rourke, Roxburgh, Stanyard, Stewart, Tresedder, White, Woolls
Census information is Crown copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - (Dixon) uk passenger lists 1878 - 1960
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 10:16 GMT (UK) »
With the dates you have given he would have been a scant 14 at the most.  Are you sure he was a seaman?  I know it's possible but to jump ship at that young of an ages is somewhat unlikely.

I couldn't find anything on the UK Lists with the information given.  I am not sure how you check crews lists or if they are even available.

Will have another go.  I was just trying to make sure your dates are correct.

dollylee

Offline pd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - (Dixon) uk passenger lists 1878 - 1960
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi dollylee
Yes, I'm afraid thats all the information that I've got. Its what the family believe and as you know you have to start somewhere. There is generally some truth somewhere in what the family believes is their history.

Its reckoned he was living in Wales in 1907 and he entered the country via Liverpool where he jumped ship as he had been a seaman. His birth date is a bit flexible as that is what is believed to be his birthday. No proof as yet, no birth certificates. I've been unable to find him on the 1901 census but that could be because he wasn't in the country or didn't tell the census because he had jumped ship. Until I get some 'concrete' information thats all the information I have to go on so far.

regards
pd
Beeson, Booth, Brelisford, Clarke, Crawford, Cunningham, Davies, Fraser, Gould, Howl, Hodgetts, Humphrys, Isaac, Johnson, Jones, Kerr, McLeod, Newell, Newman, Rourke, Roxburgh, Stanyard, Stewart, Tresedder, White, Woolls
Census information is Crown copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/