Author Topic: any Colchester streets directory?  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: any Colchester streets directory?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 January 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is a long shot!!  A cottage very typical of the hundreds around this area, but there are a few clues.  Definitely not Colchester town but might not be far away because it is on a hill overlooking rolling countryside - a view not dissimilar to the one I am looking at now from my window on the edge of the town centre towards Mile End or Myland as it is now known - which you mentioned!!  You said you had no date for the photo  but it cannot be that old (colour! - and it looks in pristine condition) in which case it might still be standing.  Could you even hazard a guess for date?  Let me have a think about this and try to nail a likely area and then keep an eye open as I drive around

Regards,

Barry
Hepburn - Clerkenwell, Islington, Limehouse, Grays, Northumberland, Derby, Warwickshire
Cowell - Stanford le Hope, Erith, Orsett, Grays
Powell - Sheppey Kent, New Zealand
Williams - Llanferres, Clwyd, Denbighshire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zola1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 January 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Barry,

My father lived in Clay Lane..No 20, but that was in the 30's and 40's ,,,i have no idea of what the house/cottages were like then (they were not an affluent family)...currently researching the Mile End area ...do you have any idea of a good reference to area at that time ?

thanks

Derrick

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 January 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
This site is a little help:

http://www.mylandparishcouncil.gov.uk/aboutTheParish.php

Search Essex CC records (http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/login.asp?Start=True&ERO=2 log in as guest) for both Myland and Mile End and remember Clay Lane has been Turner Rd for many years. 

There were brickworks at the town end of Clay Lane (hence the 'Clay') - perhaps your father worked there?  I will look in the library local history collection for you but it could be some weeks - they are closing next week for 2 months refurbishment!  Search the Essex Library catalogue http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/guc.jsp?channelOid=15524&guideOid=15195&guideContentOid=18563 and if there is anything there your local library should be able to get it on loan.

Barry
Hepburn - Clerkenwell, Islington, Limehouse, Grays, Northumberland, Derby, Warwickshire

Offline MALCOLM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 January 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Have been watching this with intrest.

For pictures of old Colchester try this site..............

http://www.camulos.com/postcards.htm

Hope this will be of help.

Malcolm.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ed the Cat

• RootsChat Member
  • Dad and the late furry one greatly missed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 January 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it towards Langham/Ardliegh way, to me especailly with those hills
Allen, Brooks, Collier, Chapman, Crick, Le Goupillot, Dillyestone, Ramsey,Bacon, Swatman, Beevor/Beever, Bushe, Bowgen,Gascogine, Bareham, Veal, Cudmore

Offline zola1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 January 09 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed,

thanks for the tip..could you have  a look at this link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=Ardliegh+way+colchester&fb=1&split=1&sll=51.916306,0.963354&sspn=0.058304,0.136662&ei=A-BxSdLlG4KGogPmlNDHBw&cd=2&cid=51916306,963354,10166089417757756467&li=lmd

Its a google map of Ardliegh way ...i wondered what you meant by the connection,,is it a new build area ?  had look at Camulos and found some very good photo's of Colchester pre 40's were very interesting.

Cheers

Derrick

Offline Ed the Cat

• RootsChat Member
  • Dad and the late furry one greatly missed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 January 09 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I used to live in the UK and I lived in the Ardleigh area, I also have relatives that live/lived there two and there are a number places that that could have been looking at the house and the hills in the background. The area on the map that you put the link to has a few houses but most of them are from 1950ish thats not to say that there arent older houses there as well. From memory the most likely places would be some where Stratford St Mary/Dedham way, its a little hilly there, the other place is towards Manningtree between there and  Lawford. there too are some hilly places with cottages, if anyone know that area there is a couple of resturants one called Le Talbooth forgotten the name of the other resturant but its on the other side of the A12 and stands on a hil.
Hope this is of help
Ed
Allen, Brooks, Collier, Chapman, Crick, Le Goupillot, Dillyestone, Ramsey,Bacon, Swatman, Beevor/Beever, Bushe, Bowgen,Gascogine, Bareham, Veal, Cudmore

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 January 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
If the weather clears I will take a little pleasure drive around Ardleigh and keep a look out, but I don't think the hills in the photo are steep enough to be Dedham Vale.  Problem is the view and cottage is so typical of this area it could be anywhere.  We really need some more clues please Derrick? 

Barry

Offline zola1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 January 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
A breakdown of possible area's that the cottages are in for ref -

20 Clay Lane (now Turner Rd)  Birth place of my father & home to the Wiltshire family (Head of the family was my Grandfather Arthur 1920's >

Weeley village,,,the Wiltshire family lived at 4 or 5 Thorpe Rd around 1935, (Mr Flint was thier neighbour ).....They then moved to the western end of the village to a house on the Colchester Rd just past the Black Boy pub (still there) in around 1940..My Uncle Frank 85yrs, remembers that his Dad Arthur rented the house form a farmer name of Mr Lord from Bromley village. (tenuous i know but its piecing it all together )

Severall's Hospital area any time after 1920's >....my late Grandfather Arthur Wiltshire was a patient there  in 1958 > ( I have letters that he wrote to my father in 1958....The photo was in the same keepsake box.!!!! Might be a complete red herring but filling in some big gaps :)

As an aside...my Mother's family were residents of The Limes (a  Victorian double fronted detached house next door to the Blackboy Pub ..west side)

spk soon

Derrick