Author Topic: Rebekah (Rebecca) Jacobs  (Read 18787 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebekah (Rebecca) Jacobs
« on: Thursday 08 January 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I have hit the brick wall and cant get over it!!  I have the marriage certificate of Rebecca Winslow (aka Rebekah) she married John Jacobs Jul 2nd 1883 at Kennington London.  She gave her home address as 14 Artillery Passage London (owned by Philip Jacobs) John's address was 2 Raymore Place, Heneage Street London.  Her father was a William Winslow ( I have found him) and John's father was a Hyman Jacobs (I have found him)  But the problem I have is in the childrens christening etc.  I have got them in the 1891 (14 Thorparch Road, Battersea) and 1901 Census 87 Thorparch Road Battersea).
The Children are, Hyman b1884, Amelia b 1885, Katherine/a E. b1887, Edward 1891, John 1904,  Florence H. 1893 (mother Olivia Winslow), Rose, L 1896 & Adelaide 1900.
I have already had a problem with Florence Henrietta Jacobs and finally found her birth but with mother's name Olivia Winslow & father's name John Jacobs. I have found several births but with either mother's name as Olivia/Lydia/Rebekah/Rebecca or father's name John/Jacob
I am hoping that by locating the birth of the children I might be able to find the mother's birth certficate.  Estimating from Census: born 1862/1864 London City or Bishopsgate.
Is there anyone who could help?  I have been trying to work this out for ny on 8 years and I am feeling absolutely cheesed off!  Regards Pauline :-\ :-\ :-\
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebekah (Rebecca) Jacobs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
So .. are all the children you have listed shown as sons/daughters of John and Rebecca on the 1891/01 censuses?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Kids of Rebecca & Jacob:
Are you doing them by baptism or birth certificate?
baptism could well be more 'flexible' in naming a mother. 
John/Jacob would well be interchanged. Is his occupation consistent?

If you have Rebecca and her father in census, are age & birthplace consistent as they go back?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Births are on FreeBMD - all Lambeth

Hyman Jan/Feb/Mar 1884 - 1d 496
Amelia Ap/May/Jun 1885 - 1d 427
Edward Aaron Jan/feb/Mar 1891 1d 360
Katherine Esther Jan/Feb/Mar 1887 1 d 480 (also wrongly indexed as 1d 180)
Adelaide May J/F/M 1900 1d 429
Rose Lydia J/A/S 1895 1d 341
several Florences in 1893 - any middle initial known?

also lots of other Jacobs' in Lambeth other than these , so plenty of families around
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »

several Florences in 1893 - any middle initial known?

The original post says she was Florence Henrietta.

These names have a Jewish feel to me - I wonder whether "Rebecca" was a name assumed by John Jacobs' wife upon marriage in place of a non-Jewish forename.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Not exactly what you are looking for - but I feel this family must fit in somewhere. Father is William (what is Rebecca/Olivia's dad's occ on marriage cert) and with child Adelaide, same as one of R/O's children ....

RG10 440 9 11
73 Long Alley Shoreditch
William Winslow 34 gas porter bn Shoreditch
Elizabeth wife 31 shoe binder bn Sditch
John 15 son bn City of London
Adelaide 9 bn S'ditch
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:23 GMT (UK) »
The original post says she was Florence Henrietta.

Thanks Anna - silly me!

Birth
Jan/Feb/Mar 1893
Florence Henrietta 1d 474

of course this is the birth of the one you have seen the christennig for - it COULD be that she is a daughter of a Willm and Olivia, whereas one of the other Florence births is that of William and Rebecca - IF there are 2 couples rather than one ...
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I have the information on William Winslow of long Alley, that is her father.  It is the problem trying to locate Rebecca (Rebekah) Jacobs nee Winslow.  Yes the Jacobs line is Jewish from Poland found the Father Hyman at Hutchison Avenue, Shoreditch.  Its been Rebecca thats the problem the only address I have is off the 1891 and 1901 Census.  John's occupation Carman/Cab driver.  But on marriage cert he is a Cordial makers Assistant, as with Rebecca on one census the birthplace is Bishopsgate (which would fall in with the rest of the family info) but on another 1901 its London City.  Yes, all the names of the children come off the census.  What I am trying to achieve is the names of the children and their date of birth and/or baptism, then the mother's birth certificate.  I know that there was another Rebecca Jacobs which was John Jacobs's sister.  I also have problem with John and locating his birth, yet again he seems to alter his name.  Really lost and dont know which way to go.
John's father was Hyman Jacobs and his mother Henrietta friedman.  Rebecca (John's wife) father William Winslow mother Elizabeth Hunt.  As Rebecca was lodging at 14 Artillery Passage, and that was owned by Philip Jacobs, I thought there might be a connection there? This family has been an absolute nightmare! Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
so essentially, you havent seen Reb* / Olivia with those parents William and Elizabeth on an earlier census ?

Looks like Lizdb's 1871 earlier might be key ..... the daughter Adelaide shown as born Shoreditch, has this Birth Entry ...

Births Jun 1862

WINSLOW  Adelaide Anne     Shoreditch  v1c p100
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk