Author Topic: ST JOHNS CHURCH & GEORGE BELL  (Read 9604 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ST JOHNS CHURCH & GEORGE BELL
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 January 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Did a quick check of St. Andrews baptisms, couldn't see a Matthew Westerby.
However I did spot a :
Matthew Robson, born 7 July 1810, baptised 15 Mar 1811, illegitimate son of Dorothy Robson, single woman, native of this chapelry, daughter of Ebin. Robson.
Its possible that the father was John Westerby, but for whatever reason he pulled out of the marriage.
Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Westerby, 11th Hussars, my great great uncle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 January 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
That's a fascinating observation Alan,

I had never considered Matthew being illegitimate - but it would explain a) why there is no record of a marriage and b) why there is no sign of Matthew's birth or baptism in any of the records. It's an exciting possibility and one which gives me fresh hope that I may yet find his birth and his father and mother!

Can I just ask you, are you looking at St Andrew's records online or do you have a CD or something? 

Any ideas on how I might go about proving that link ?

NORTHUMBERLAND/DURHAM: Westerby, Kirkland, Younghusband, Brown, Beck, Leith, Dixon, Gilroy, Roseburgh, Sheriff, Shield, Turnbull, Renwick
YORKSHIRE: Westerby
CANADA: Delahoy, Westerby

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »
The Bishops Transcripts (copies of original parish records) for large parts of Northumberland and Durham, including Newcastle St. Andrew are online at :

http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Click on "Europe"
Click on "England Diocese of Durham Bishops' Transcripts ca. 1700-1900"
Then select the county, parish and years of interest

There are no indexes so have to be manually searched, records are often mixed up by date, and some dates missing, but its still a massive boon for research.  Many hours can be happily spent trawling backwards and forwards searching for your ancestors.

This doesn't help with your search, but something I spotted when looking for parents of Matthew, which you my find interesting if you don't have it already. These things bring our ancestors to life as human beings. An article in the Northern Liberator newspaper, Saturday August 10, 1839.

On Sunday night, Matthew Westerby, bricklayer and freeman of the borough, was returning from the house of a friend, had occasion to pass in front of the Manors Station House. It seems that the "Austrians" were at this moment dragging a ship carpenter, named Hall, into "durance", and Westerby happening to inquire what he had done. Policeman Moore  No. 80 gave him a blow with his fist on the side of his head and knocked off his hat, and on his remonstrating swore that he would knock the "Sowl" out of him. Westerby applied for redress to the superintendant, Stephens, who observed that those were troublesome times, and contented himself by laying his injunctions on "80" to be, in future, less profuse of physical force.

Today you could have sued.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
The Bishops Transcript are an excellent tool but are not for the faint hearted. Its just a pity the rest of the countries BT's where available on line.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
The Bishops Transcripts (copies of original parish records) for large parts of Northumberland and Durham, including Newcastle St. Andrew are online at :

http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Click on "Europe"
Click on "England Diocese of Durham Bishops' Transcripts ca. 1700-1900"
Then select the county, parish and years of interest

There are no indexes so have to be manually searched, records are often mixed up by date, and some dates missing, but its still a massive boon for research.  Many hours can be happily spent trawling backwards and forwards searching for your ancestors.

This doesn't help with your search, but something I spotted when looking for parents of Matthew, which you my find interesting if you don't have it already. These things bring our ancestors to life as human beings. An article in the Northern Liberator newspaper, Saturday August 10, 1839.

On Sunday night, Matthew Westerby, bricklayer and freeman of the borough, was returning from the house of a friend, had occasion to pass in front of the Manors Station House. It seems that the "Austrians" were at this moment dragging a ship carpenter, named Hall, into "durance", and Westerby happening to inquire what he had done. Policeman Moore  No. 80 gave him a blow with his fist on the side of his head and knocked off his hat, and on his remonstrating swore that he would knock the "Sowl" out of him. Westerby applied for redress to the superintendant, Stephens, who observed that those were troublesome times, and contented himself by laying his injunctions on "80" to be, in future, less profuse of physical force.

Today you could have sued.

Alan.

That's remarkable Alan, that's my g g g grandfather!! Can you point me to that on the net ?
NORTHUMBERLAND/DURHAM: Westerby, Kirkland, Younghusband, Brown, Beck, Leith, Dixon, Gilroy, Roseburgh, Sheriff, Shield, Turnbull, Renwick

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:20 GMT (UK) »
An instituition in the the USA Gale/Cengage has put a lot of British 19thC newspapers online, fully indexed.  Includes the Northern Liberator (only a few years) and the Newcastle Courant. There are frequent free trials for access but I'm not sure if any are active now. Many City Libraries have annual subscriptions, which allow Library members remote access to the database. I'm a member of Newcastle City Library which gives free remote access.
Join the library.
Alan

Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Michael, as usual, you are a mine of information.

Bayster, I notice you have Younghusband in your tree. It's unusual. Maybe you might let me know where and when they were when you've finished this quest.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »

An instituition in the the USA Gale/Cengage has put a lot of British 19thC newspapers online, fully indexed.  Includes the Northern Liberator (only a few years) and the Newcastle Courant. There are frequent free trials for access but I'm not sure if any are active now. Many City Libraries have annual subscriptions, which allow Library members remote access to the database. I'm a member of Newcastle City Library which gives free remote access.
Join the library.
Alan

Alan,

Thanks, I'm a member of North Tyneside Library, which has an Ancestry subscription. I'll check that out.

Any idea why the paper refers to the police as 'Austrians' ?

David

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 23:43 GMT (UK) »
The Northern Liberator was published 1837 - 1840, the "organ of the Newcastle Chartists" according to the Gale/Cengage site. The Chartists were campaigning at the time for political and electoral reform, votes for all men over 21 etc., radical for the time. The title of the article was Police Vagaries. Matthew presumably provided the info for the article, so its a good bet that Matthew was a Chartist sympathisor.  Austria was a superpower at the time, with a large army dominating its Empire, so it may have been a derogatory term for the Police at the time.  Just a wild guess though.
You can fill in a form online to join Newcastle City Library, if North Tyneside doesn't have a Gale subscription. Library card comes through the post. Membership number gives you access to the Gale site via a link on the Newcastle Library website.
Alan. 
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins