Author Topic: Findlay, Marykirk  (Read 4084 times)

Offline kkbarker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Findlay, Marykirk
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am quite new to family history research and am having trouble tracking down my  g, g, grandmother's birth and hope someone out there can maybe help.

I am looking for Elizabeth Findlay ( born 1836/7) daughter of Jean (Jane / Janet) Low and David Findlay - in 1841 they are all living in Thornybush, Marykirk (along with 3 older siblings whose births I have found in Logie Pert and Fordoun) and another younger sister Margaret who also cant find ( there is another brother and sister born by 1851 census who I can't find either although they are all still in Marykirk). I am especially curious because every census I have found her on lists her birth place as some where different although they are only as far apart as Stracathro and Stonehaven...she also gets "younger" as she gets older ( a family trait I have inherited!).

any help gratefully received

kerryb
Forfarshire: Lindsay, Cant  Aberdeen: Barker, Cochrane, Noble

Offline advsmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Findlay, Marykirk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      just been looking through the site after not being on for a long while.  The Findlays come down my mothers side of the family and David and Jane Findlay (1941 census living at Thornybank) are in my tree. Elizabeth's older brother David is in my direct line.  I have Jane Low's parents as David Low and Jane Falconer. Davids parents are David (yet another) and Jean (Jane) Milne (Mill) - depending on what you are looking at.

Please drop me an email and we can compare findings.

Bryan

Offline heather bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi I to am new to researching into My Family Tree and in recent weeks have found out so much information about My Ancestors. I do not know if you still check Rootchat. As A Surprising Coincidence I am A Low married to A Findlay and I have just found out that I live only half a mile away from other Low/Findlay Marriages! I am a direct descendant of The Low's of Meikle Tullo, Edzell and through My Research I have found out that there was a separate Low Family Living here in Logie Pert. It starts with A 1st Generation Alexander Low who died on Apr 1779 at Nether pert, Logie Pert and he was married to An Elizabeth Findlay Born 27th May 1719-Tourmonds, Logie Pert. She died 10 June 1789. My connection with this Family of Low's starts when My Great-Grandfather's Sister Jean marries A John Low. I do not know if your GG Grandmother Elizabeth is related to these Low's but I reckon It is possible. A lot of their descendants stayed in Marykirk, Dun and Montrose.  I shall check it out and let you know.   My task now is to find out if My Husband's Family of Findlays started here! His Father came from Greenock so I reckon it will take me a while lol!

Offline advsmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,
                   thank you for your message, which I found very interesting.  It has been quite a while since I looked at my family tree but I will have a look over the next couple of weeks.  I must admit that I have come to a bit of a halt as the records get sparse and "vague" around the late 1700s so it is very difficult to get to alsolute certainties over relationships.  I live in Lincolnshire so it is difficult to get local records however my brother lives in Angus so I keep trying to get him to do the 'local work'!  Also doesn't help that we were poor lot!

I visited Logie Pert last year but it is very hard to get an impression of what it must have been like in the late 1700s especially the number of people employed and the deprevation. I think the local church is now a private home.

I have one living direct descendent Findlay who is my great auntie; but I'm afraid the rest are all married off!

Your message has given me the urge to see if I can find out more.  I will keep you posted. If we are related I have a couple of Findlay portraits that my interest you.

Bryan

Offline heather bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 12 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryne, Thanks for getting in touch. Do you know if any of your Findlay relatives moved from up here down to Glasgow/Greenock possibly to work in the shipyards etc in the late 1800's or early 1900's?
Regards
heatherbell