Author Topic: looking for port Dinorwic LIanfairisgear  (Read 8126 times)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
looking for port Dinorwic LIanfairisgear
« on: Monday 19 April 04 19:47 BST (UK) »
 I have recently discovered my husbands great grandparents living in this area  they are a william and elzabeth brown and there children  they travelled about a bit William was a foreman navvy in 1901 they lived at Wooden cottage along with there children and six navvys from Ireland (it must have been a BIG cottage ) Ino where they ended there days but was wondering just what and if I can find out if there was a bridge or railway being constructed at this time there son was born there eight years before this . and just where is port Dinorwic  thanks eda >:(
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re:looking for port Dinorwic LIanfairisgear
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 04 09:36 BST (UK) »
Eda,
Port Dinorwic is on the A4087 between Bangor and Caernarfon. Don't be put off by the Welsh looking name. The Welsh name is Y Felinheli, as it is called today.

To my shame, I can' t say when the 2 bridges over Menai were built, but I'm sure they were well before 1901. Telford built the famour Menai bridge. He was around in 1800 ish. Stephenson built the railway bridge on the London- Holyhead line. this would be about 25 years later. There was a railway line that went from Bangor to Caernarfon, but as far as I can recollect, it has been disbanded. There were however several slate quarries in the area, some of which had narrow gauge railways to bring the slate to the coast, one port was Port Dinorwic. The port was constructed in the 19th century:

http://www.travelbritain.com/northwales/part2.html
Slate Mill
Commercial quarrying of slate began at Dinorwic in the early 1800s with the product being shipped around Wales and England by sea.Of course Dinorwic is many miles from the sea and the first part of the journey was by packhorse.
In common with other quarries railways came into use and eventually two systems were used by the Quarry company. 2ft gauge railway were laid in each level of the quarry and connected by rope worked inclines between the levels, these railway were worked by dozens of small steam locomotives, mainly saddle tanks supplied by Hunslet Engine Company of Leeds. To transport the slate from Dinorwic to the sea a 4ft gauge railway was built running from the quarry to Y Felinheli, the harbour here is still known at Port Dinorwic to the confusion of the less historically aware visitor to the area.

Port Dinorwic Marina
This historic port at the mouth of the Arfon Heulyn, which has provided a safe haven for ships and fishing vessels for centuries ( even the Romans are thought to have visited!). The dock was constructed in the 19th century to export slate from the Dinorwic Slate Quarries, via a narrow gauge railway.

And from Genuki for Llanfair-is-gaer:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/LlanfairIsGaer/

Llanfair-is-gaer
"LLANFAIR-IS-GAER, (or Bryn Llanfair) a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 7 from Bangor. It is situated on the shore of the Menai Strait, and includes the township of Brynffynon and port of Dinorwig. The Roman general, Agricola, crossed over to Anglesey at this point. Copper is obtained here, and slate is shipped at the above port. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £77, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is close to the water's edge. This place takes the suffix to its name-Gaer, signifying a fort or place for defence-from the old Roman camp. The seats are Plas Llanfair, and on the opposite bank, Plas Llanidand, the estate of Lord Boston." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Census
1851 Census of Llanfair-is-gaer. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
Gazetteers
The transcription of the section for Llanfair Is Gaer from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Hope this helps.

D ap D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
thanks for all your information (d -ap-d hope to go there in the near future  eda
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 04 22:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Eda,

To add to D ap D very knowledgable reply.

I have tried to put you a link to a Y Felinheli, but not having much luck tonight ! Sorry  :( but if you compare this map to the arerial map it is quite interesting.
http://www.multimap.com

Work on Menai bridge started in 1819 and was completed in 1824. The Britannia bridge was completed by March 1850.

This is a link to a aerial photograph or the bridges :D
http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=255000&y=370000&scale=50000&width=700&height=410&multimap.x=337&multimap.y=91

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Sorcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: looking for port Dinorwic LIanfairisgear
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 December 04 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

On the subject of Y Felinheli and Llanfairisgaer, I am looking for Thomas Gray who was born around 1842 and family legend suggests that he lived at a house in the village known as the Turnpike.  Does anybody from the area know of the existence of this house or anything about that area at that time at all.

he apparently ran away to see at 16 years old and the family seems very elusive anyway... I do think i have found him on the 1881, however, living with what I now believe to be his sister, Grace:

William ROBERTS   Head   M   Male   34   Bangor, Caernarvon, Wales   A B Seaman     
 Grace ROBERTS   Wife   M   Female   35   Bangor, Caernarvon, Wales   Seamans Wife     
 Thomas GRAY   Bro In Law   U   Male   38   Bangor, Caernarvon, Wales   A B Seaman     

Living at 15 Edmund Street, Bangor in 1881.

Thanks in advance for any help people might be able to offer.

Diolch!
Barrington - Liverpool/London - Ireland
Fyfe, Lindsay - Scotland
Gray, Parry, Jones - Caernarfonshire, Wales
Plimmer, Davis, Stone, Keeling, Sheldon, Holmes - Derbyshire
Nelson, Hilton, Cowley, Rimmer, Birch, Kershaw, Cryer, Brookfield, Howard, Abram, Latham - Lancashire
Kinsey, Booth - Cheshire
Birch and travellers - Staffordshire
Taylor, Warr - Oxfordshire
Beurle, Bailey - Kent
...up to now!

Offline hogynfelin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: looking for port Dinorwic LIanfairisgear
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Just seen your post re "Gray" family. I know that there is still a member of the family still living at the 35 Bangor Street Address. Her maiden name is Margaret Gray Williams, I do not remember her married/divorced name.  Best of luck!