Author Topic: Advice needed - what's the next step?  (Read 944 times)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice needed - what's the next step?
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

With the publication of the 1911 census I have finally found the birthplace of one of my ancestors, Coloumb Delaney, which was Inistiogue in Kilkenny.

From that I managed to get his baptism record in 1850. (His name was spelt Colm or Collum).

The baptism record named his parents, but I'm unable to find a marriage between them.

This is the first time I've done any research in Ireland, so would just like a bit of advice on what the best way to go is before I spend a fortune on downloading the wrong records!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed - what's the next step?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his mother's maiden name - this will help in identifying the right marriage cert.

You could try Griffiths Valuation to see if his father was a lessor of land.  This would give another address.  GV was done around this time.

www.askaboutireland.com

Are they Catholic or CoI?  CoI records for marriages started in 1845 so you might get lucky in the General Register Office if they are but this would involve coming to Dublin as indexes are not online, so a last resort long shot.

I presume you've looked in the church where he was baptised.  Does the record give sponsors' names and addresses?  Sponsors are often siblings and/or witnesses to the marriage.  Their address might be in a different parish which could then be checked for marriage records.

Best of luck.  Once you get to this period, the records are far fewer and it may not be easy to find them.

P.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply!  :)

I have his mothers maiden name - Anastatia Fitzpatrick - and have searched for a marriage in Kilkenny using first her name, then his. Unfortunately, although there are several for each name none of them married each other! The baptism record is Roman Catholic so I assume a marriage record would be the same!

I've also tried Griffiths - it gives the same info for his father that was on the birth cert.

The sponsors thing sounds like the best option for me to try, I'm guessing they're similar to godparents? One of them is Martin Galavan which seems to be a fairly uncommon name so fingers crossed there!

Thanks again for the info,

Rachel  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 09 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Rachel,

Sponsor is the latin word usually used for godparents.
Baptisms in the Catholic church were often record in latin during that time.

Regards,

P.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire