Author Topic: Mauchan/Machan  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Mauchan/Machan
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
::)

Hi I am trying to locate the death records of Clark Machan(Mauchan) and his wife Elizabeth

I have located a birth record for him on 12 Mar 1804 in Eastwood. He married Elizabeth Atera(Altria) in Aberdeen on 09 Aug 1828 where she was born in 1804. His son John was born in Lanark in1837 (haven't found the record) and the family appear on the 1841 Census on Ancestry.com as Machon in Lanark
I have found two possible census records for Elizabeth in 1851 in Renfrewshire and in 1861 in Rutherglen
 I would presume he died sometime in the 40's and her in the 60's as there is no trace of her in later census's John was married in 1863 at Craigrownie Castle (house) in Rosneath neither parent is listed as deceased.
Any suggestions I cannot locate death records on SP. He appears to have been a cotton worker or something to do with Cotton mills.

thanks
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Mauchan/Machan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 06:58 GMT (UK) »
HI

A quick look on Scotlands People shows the following OPR Baptism

Baptised 13/05/1829 MACHAN JAMES SMITH  Father CLARK MACHAN Mother ELISABETH ALTERA  in Aberdeen ABERDEEN CITY/ Ref no 168/A00 0220 0095

The fact the others are missing suggests they changed faith out of Church of Scotland (very common for the time and those records are not online fraid - held by National Archives Scotland in Edinburgh OR they couldn't afford to pay the fee to have them baptised - not unusual)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I did search SP for all the records I could (without spending too much)
Is there another location I could go to to find the death records.

I guess I'll have to make a tri[ to Edinburgh next time I am in the UK to see what I can find
Gillian

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

If they died pre 1855 the only place is the archives in Edinburgh fraid and the mortcloth records are scant. 1855 or later it's Scotland's People.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
 ???

Well I think I found Elizabeth on the 1851 census inNew Cathcart Renfrewshire on the 1861 in Rutherglen Lanarkshire and 1871 census in Row Dumbatronshire - by then the surname has changed from Machan to Mauchan -- so thats very curiious - she doesn't appear on the 1871 census. Clark disappears ofter the 1841 census .
Would she have been registered on her death certificate under her maiden name?
Gillian

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Gillian

No she would have been registered under her married name. Her husband's name would appear under hers on the cert. If there was more than one husband then all would appear in order of marriage.

Her maiden name would also be shown and those of her parents.

Don't be misled by the change of spelling in her surname - was all too common for that to happen. Literacy levels were not high in the 1800s.

The details on the death certificate are only as accurate as the person who reported the death and it's not unusual for them to be incorrect (mainly around the person's age at death)

Ann

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 09 02:49 GMT (UK) »
 :P Ann

Well it looks as though she disappeared from the records - I have tried all combinations of spelling and just cannot locate her - it's almost as if she just vanished!

Guess I'll have to give up for now - Aus is a long way to search from!
Thanks
Gillian

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 December 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I descend from James Machan b. 1695. My branch came to Canada in 1822. I was looking for more info on Robert Clark Machan and came across your post. Here is what I have:

CLARK MACHAN (JAMES3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 12 Mar 1804 in Woodnock, Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland, and died  in Lanarkshire, Scotland.  He married ELIZABETH ALTERA 09 Aug 1828 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland131,132, daughter of CAESAR ALTERA and ELSPET MILNE.  She was born 24 Jul 1804 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

More About CLARK MACHAN:
Burial: Eastwood Cemetery, Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland

More About ELIZABETH ALTERA:
Baptism: St. Nicholas Church, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Children of CLARK MACHAN and ELIZABETH ALTERA are:
   i.   JAMES SMITH5 MACHAN132, b. 1829, Scotland; m. AGNES MCLELLAN, 28 Aug 1872, Helensburgh, Row, Dunbartonshire, Scotland; b. 1848, Lockgoilhead, Argyleshire, Scotland.

More About JAMES SMITH MACHAN:
Baptism: 13 May 1829, St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

ii.   ROBERT CLARK MACHAN132, b. 04 Jun 1832, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
   iii.   JANE MACHAN132, b. 30 Apr 1834, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland; m. JAMES MILLER132, 02 Nov 1859, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland; b. 1836, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

More About JANE MACHAN:
Baptism: 07 Sep 1834, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland

iv.   JOHN MACHAN132, b. 1836, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland; m. ANN SUTHERLAND132, 22 Dec 1863, Craigrownie, Roseneath, Dunbartonshire, Scotland132; b. 1840, Caithneshire, Scotland
   v.   WILLIAM MACHAN, b. 1838, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
   vi.   ANDREW ALTERA MACHAN, b. 09 Jun 1842, Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland; d. 09 Mar 1923, Dunbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland; m. CATHERINE DOWNIE BUCHANAN132, 03 Dec 1867, Dunbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland; b. 04 Feb 1843, Scotland; d. 15 Jul 1919, Dunbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

More About ANDREW ALTERA MACHAN:
Burial: Dunbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

More About CATHERINE DOWNIE BUCHANAN:
Burial: Dunbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

I have more recrods and some old pictures so please email me at:

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Griffith. Machan

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 10 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for making contact - I'll PM a response with my email address

I have a death date for Robert Clark Machan/Mauchan of 5 Jan1918 - he never married . I have located all the Census records for him on Ancestry - he was a coachman and appeares to have worked out of Row at rowmore Stableyards

Regards
Gillian