Author Topic: At a loss with this marriage: Nenthead/Alston area  (Read 6751 times)

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
At a loss with this marriage: Nenthead/Alston area
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful for any help in tracing a marriage from the 1850s that I simply can't find anywhere. It is between Cowper Barron and Sarah ? in the early 1850s and probably in Alston/Nenthead.

A bit of background. The 1861 Census shows Cowper and Sarah Barron (wrongly transcribed as Burn on ancestry) with three children in High Galligill, Nenthead, Alston. Cowper and Sarah are 29 and 26 respectively and the oldest child is 7 (so born about 1854). The whole family have 'Alston, cumberland' as place of birth. The reference info is Class: RG9; Piece: 3898; Folio: 6; Page: 5. In the 1851 Census Cowper is living with his father and unmarried.

It seems likely that Cowper and Sarah married at some point between 1851-1861, probably before 1854 when the first child was born. I can't find this marriage anywhere. I've tried every variation of the name that I can think of in freeBMD and been through the Barrons in the indexes for 1850-1855 and can't find it. I'd be really grateful for any help tracing it in the indexes or in the parish/church records. One thing I should mention is that Cowper himself was baptised in the Primitive Methodist Church at Nenthead so that may be a clue. It may be that the marriage never made it to the index or even that they weren't actually married but at the moment it is driving me mad!

Many thanks for any help in tracing this

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: At a loss with this marriage: Nenthead/Alston area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible to get a birth certificate for one of the children then you will know Sarah's maiden name and have twice the chance of finding the marriage?    It may well be after the birth of the first child too.
Andrea

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 09 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Get in touch with Ken at North Pennine Ancestors, he will probably be able to help.
Regards, Vera

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for your replies (unfortunately work has been getting in the way of ancestry for a few days!).

Sillgen - thanks for the suggestion. Yes there are some birth certificates that might match but I am a bit wary in that it is not that rare a name for the area and if they weren't married the children may well have been registered under the mother's maiden name. I may get one if I can't get any further elsewhere.

Vera - thanks very much for the suggestion. I've found the North Pennine Ancestors site which looks very interesting. Could I ask who Ken is and how I contact him!

I'd like to check the Alston parish records but I think it's quite possible that they married in a non-conformist (possibly methodist) church so perhaps that wouldn't survive. Also I'm wondering whether it was common for people to have a religious service that didn't fulfill the legal requirements (e.g. registrar present) so whether it's possible that htey were married 'in the eyes of God' but not of the state so didn't get on the GRO records... hmm.

Thanks again for your replies

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 January 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Ken is the person who started the N.P.A.  Originally there were about 10 people who found they had connections to Nenthead and when they traced their family history they were all related in various ways.  Some years ago they had a 'Barron Family Pic-nic' in the village hall at Nenthead (what a good day that was!).  I couldn't find a marriage for the couple you mention and when I was in touch with Ken he couldn't either.  But don't give up - get in touch with him and he may be able to help in some other way.
Regards, Vera

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 January 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
http://www.northpennineancestors.co.uk/Index.htm
is the site and if you "dig" deep enough you do find an email address for Ken on the offers of help page.  Click a link at the top.
Looks very interesting.
Andrea

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for your very helpful replies (and sorry for the delay in replying again, I don't get as much time as I would like to do ancestry!) I will contact him now.

Many thanks again

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that your help has been great. Ken kindly got back to me extremely quickly and gave me information taking me several generations back (though no hint of the marriage yet!).

Many thanks again

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Now you've made contact you know that Ken is there to help if you have any more queries and you will always get a quick reply.
 Regards Vera