Author Topic: Burial - Lynch  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Anne09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial - Lynch
« on: Saturday 17 January 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the burial place of my Great grandparents Laurence & Anne Lynch.
Anne Lynch nee Toole c1843 – 1882 died when my grandfather was 3, he was born at the Corn Exchange Wexford in 1879 so I am assuming that is where they were living. She was apparently buried in a nuns habit ? Franciscan why I don't know.
Laurence Lynch was born in Dublin c1811, 1901 census Wexford T./High St.  St. Patrick's Forth Wexford. He is recorded as deceased in 1910 when my grandfather married in England.
They had 3 children who may be buried with them, James b1871, Mary b1873 & Laurence b1876, he was a chemist in London & was still alive in 1911.
Many thanks,
Anne09
Dodwell - Sligo, Ireland. Yorkshire, Cheshire
Lynch - Wexford, London, Cheshire
O'Brien - Louth, ?Cork, Cheshire
Kenny - Stockton on Tees, Durham.
Brogan - Mayo,Ireland.  Easingwold, Yorkshire.

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - Lynch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I think that lady would be buried in a Franciscan habit because she was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis .It is, or was, a lay organisation within the Catholic Church.

Offline Anne09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Shellback,
Thank you so much for that information, we have always wondered.
Dodwell - Sligo, Ireland. Yorkshire, Cheshire
Lynch - Wexford, London, Cheshire
O'Brien - Louth, ?Cork, Cheshire
Kenny - Stockton on Tees, Durham.
Brogan - Mayo,Ireland.  Easingwold, Yorkshire.

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
No problem Anne .Now as your G/Grandmother was buried in a Third Order habit there is a possibility that if she is buried in Wexford it is in the Franciscan  burial ground which was behind the Friary. I say was because some vandal of a Friar had the whole site bulldozed and turned into an open space that benefited no one. This was the burial place mainly of Wexford's merchant class and it contained some of the finest monuments to be seen . Records of the burials in the graveyard are incomplete, although some are available for reference at Wexford Public Library, so unless you find an obit for them in the Wexford papers, also in the library,  it is difficult to be sure if they were there or not.