Author Topic: In Search Of Griffiths  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
In Search Of Griffiths
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

I have found out that my 4x great grandfather was a native of "Brecknock" and was a Carpenter called James Griffiths. (father called James too, obtained from marriage cert in 1853). However...

I cannot find the baptism of James Jnr. The census reports tell me he was born around 1807 in a place called Llanigon. He was 47 on his marriage certificate in 1853 and his wife Eliza Cobner is 40. However, James is down as a Widower.

James had a son around 1844/1845 in Brecon, called Edward. Therefore, Edward must be a child of James' previous marriage. But I do not know Edward's mother's name. There is a possibility this first marriage took place before 1837, so I am wondering which move I can take to get Edward's mum's name, or even find James' baptism around 1807. The family later moved from Breconshire to Abergavenny in Monmouth.

I tried to do a little searching to see if I could find James on the 1841, with his first wife. There is one possibility I can see, with a spouse called Catherine. I am not sure if this James and Catherine are Edward's parents...

If anyone has access to Breconshire records I would be very grateful if you could please  look for James and maybe Edward's baptism for me? There are two options on freebmd for his birth, so maybe a christening record first could help me eliminate one of these options.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Reaybo :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk