Author Topic: 'The Bell' Irish Periodical  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
'The Bell' Irish Periodical
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone tell me if there is an index to the periodical 'The Bell' and if so, is it available to view.

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Bell' Irish Periodical
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Not that I know of. Are you looking for anything in particular? Have access to a library where there is a full run of the journal and could do a look up  if that is of any help.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annclare
Thanks for replying to my enquiry.  A native of Glengarrif, County Cork, namely Patrick Fionan O'Shea settled in our local village of Brithdir in the Rhymney Valley of South Wales as far back as 1925.  He became our village doctor and held the post for a record fifty-years. 

I am researching the history of our village and its people with the aim of writing a local history project.  Dr Patrick Fionan O'Shea wrote several articles that were published in the "Bell" one in particular he wrote on his introduction to our village.

A much loved and respected man, I would like to include one of his articles in a chapter I am writing on his life.  If you can help in anyone I would be most grateful.

Best regards
Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Was at the Library this afternoon and found an author's index to the Bell. Fionan O Shea had two articles published in 1941 and 1943. The first is probably of most interest - title Doctors for Export -the second is a fiction short story called Winter Honeymoon.
Have taken photocopies and if you send me your e-mail by PM will scan and send.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clare

I know we have made contact via PM but I thought I would place a message here for others to see.

This site really is an Alladin's Cave and continues to impress me with its results.  The article you located written by Fionan O'Shea is the exact one I was looking for.  It's an account written by him of his journey from Ireland in 1925 to Wales and his introduction to our local village.  Dr Patrick Fionan O'Shea eventually took over the then present doctors practice and remained with us for a record fifty-years.  A much loved and respected doctor.

Many thanks for your time and kindness with this. 

Regards
Roy