Author Topic: Re: Home Children to Canada  (Read 29281 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children to Canada
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 February 08 17:05 GMT (UK) »

Right ... Romilly wasn't charged by NCH, Cranstone was asked for £100 per head although permission to look at all documents is still covered by the postage stamp etc., and we're waiting for Migky's comments. I think you're right about Salford, Karen. Liverpool hold the records for Barnados and NCH. How come one search was free and the other is £100 per head? What are these Family Service Units mentioned on the University's site?
Christopher

It looks like the FSU have gone into administration, Christopher.

See: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/2006/04/06/53469/family-service-units-in-administration.html
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
 >:(   It really makes me angry when the records are held hostage as well. Dangling the "how much are they willing to pay for this information "carrot.  :P
  It saddens me that any one of us would do it all for free....
We often look through records all day for just a thank you...and although I under stand the hours and effort...Just what is the hourly rate paid, then?
  I say they should remove the expensive louts and have a semi-volunteer (honorarium rate type person) doing it...Joe archivist at $50.00 an hour shouldn't really be needed here...

ah...rant over.... ;D  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher, i was lucky to find records of two of our children from the same family in Salford children's home. They charged me nothing for copies of there records and contracts of them entering the Salford home . One of the two children was later taken out of the Salford home but the other one was not so lucky and was sent to Canada. After much searching i did manage to find him in Canada and with the great help of Karenm. i managed to get hold of his service records in the Canadian army. I managed to also get hold of his record after leaving the Salford home and records of him in the Marchmount Home Canada via the Barnardo’s tracing service. I think i paid around £30's but was told it could be more depending on how much research and records could be found.What i got was not much , just a report of his health and education for the time he was there  but i know of others that have been luckier and have photos of the family members. I think it is like every thing in this game it is the luck of the draw as to what you get for your money. I know the British red cross ask for £75 to search for any records of family members who were prisoners of war and depending on how long and how much they find will alter what they charge.
Migky ;)

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I have sent the forms of for sisters sent to Canada in 1900 I know their dates of birth addresses where born parents names which ship and when they sailed and where they landed , so I do hope they dont try to charge me £100 per child as it should not take much to find where they were placed.
I do so badly want the records.
Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I hope you get much more information too, I know the same things as you do for my people.

Best of luck, would be interested to know what you get.

Regards

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

You said you hope they don't try to charge you £100 - did they not tell you first how much they charge?

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
hi they said they would see what they could find first then let me know, and depending how much of the information I wanted would decide the cost ??? which I thought was a bit depressing as I obviously want all of it .
So no idea at the moment.
They also said they have so many applying it could take a long time.
Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
hi they said they would see what they could find first then let me know, and depending how much of the information I wanted would decide the cost ??? which I thought was a bit depressing as I obviously want all of it .
So no idea at the moment.
They also said they have so many applying it could take a long time.

I have read that some organisations will let you go & read through the records in person, - & its only if you want photocopies that they charge...

Have you tried asking if this is a possibility? Or are they too far away for that to be a viable option?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I did ask this and they said  it wasn't possible.

They have said I can pay in instalments but it still works out at £100 each!

Regards