Author Topic: Hello from Australia - Wood Webster Cow(ie)  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Bill Wood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello from Australia - Wood Webster Cow(ie)
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have put up what I can as a family tree at ancestry under the name of steamingbill.

We emigrated to Australia in 1969 and I have often gone back to Banff for holidays.

We would be a little tiny tag end of the Wood Webster Cowie Cow family trees and might provide some missing data for people interested in those families.

Am keen to see if I can discuss with other Woods Websters Cowies re details of those families before 1900. My Mum and Dad cant remember any family member names much beyond that.

Regards

Bill Wood - Born in Banff and emigrated to Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Australia - Wood Webster Cow(ie)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hopefully someone may recognise your family lines and be able provide further info. In the absence of that, there are a number of things that you can do to further your research.

From what I can see of your tree on Ancestry you have:

1. James Wood m. Elizabeth ? = James Wood born c. 1901
                                                                                               } James Wood married m. Margaret Thomson date ?
2. ? Thomson m. ?  = Margaret Jane Thomson born c. 1905

3. John Webster m.  ? Cow = John Webster born ?
                                                                                                }John Webster married Annie Mary Walker date ?
4. James Walker m. Isabella Cow (born c. 1879) = Annie Mary Walker born c. 1906

It would make good sense for you to start with the latest marriages that you have and confirm details before moving back to the next generation. Scotlands People is the official pay to view site for BMDs and census images. Scottish certificates as I am sure you know are very informative and, for marriages, will include full details of the bride and groom's parents including mother's maiden name and father's occupation and whether they were alive or deceased at the time of their marriage. With this information, you can then search for their parents' marriages and move on to the censuses for further background and information.

I am not seeing a marriage between a James Wood and a Margaret Thomson in Banff between 1915-1933 (the cut off date for marriages on line at SP (Scotlands People) but there are two entries showing elsewhere in Scotland.

For John Wood and Annie Mary Walker there is a marriage showing in 1928 in Aberdeenshire which is likely to be theirs (the only one showing for a John Walker and an Ann* Walker (actually indexed as Annie Mary  :)) up to 1933.

Once you confirm full details on their parents (and their parents' marriages) we can all help with looking for them on the censuses. The further back you go, the easier it can become to find information on line in many cases.

There are a couple of helpful guides here on RC:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html - researching in Scotland
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html - getting the best out of Scotlands People

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 January 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

Thank you heaps.

I got some more info from Mum today and wil do some editing and adding to the tree.

Will have a look at the site you recommend.

And no I didnt know how comprehensive the scottish marriage certificates are - but I do now  :D

Thanks again

Bill

Offline Bill Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 09 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

It is now 5 weeks after your initial reply to me.

You recommended Scotlands People and rightly so - it has been fabulous - Thankyou - I have been happily leapfrogging from birth to marriage to birth until I finally hit dead ends on all lines - I have collected all the appropriate Birth and Marriage certificates. They were very thorough in recording maiden names and ages etc making it easy to be confident in the links.

Am now starting to focus on death certificates and census data and other peoples trees and have had some further succes with notes and responses from this forum.

Once again thanks for the initial guidance.

Seeya

Bill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

I'm really pleased  :) Sounds like you have made huge inroads into your research.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk