Author Topic: Home Children: Susan Haynes (Canada -1910)  (Read 6790 times)

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children: Susan Haynes (Canada -1910)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 January 09 01:14 GMT (UK) »
The odd name for the mother on the attestation made me remember this name from the other replies?

Marriages Dec Q. 1908
Lucy Haynes with Alfred Martin on page
Stafford dist.  vol. 6b p.21

Odd that she uses three names? ( Lucy, Louisa, Catheline)

Is Susan the only missing one in Canada?

Eek...I just saw W. Bromwich/St James, Handsworth that Lucy Catherine was christened as such, but born Lucy Catherine...Quite the name game....and the christenings 1898 Gnossall for Thomas & John show up here: http://search.labs.familysearch.org...but Lucy's doesn't and visa versa...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 January 09 05:07 GMT (UK) »
I found this one in the 1911 :-\ her name is Bessie Ames, homegirl from England born 1902 came to Canada in 1910.  I was just thinking if you say "Haynes" with an accent it could sound like Ames?

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=57505

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 January 09 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Just another note to add to that Bessie in the 1911, Jennie Langley who is also a homegirl in the same household was brought to Canada through Barnardo's headed to Peterborough, Ontario.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline rach27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 January 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies.  KarenM - I wonder if you are right with the name being mis-transcribed. I find it strange that I can't find Susan in the census when it would have been taken about a year after her arrival.

Unfortunately I can't get access to the Barnardos records as I am not a direct descendant. However; the nice woman there sent the information which I original mentioned about Susan. I didn't even know that there was a Susan Haynes. Susans last known address was Crescent Road, Toronto in Feb 1924

The woman at Barnardos also confirmed that James went to Canada and joined the forces... his last known whereabouts was London, Middlesex County, Ontario in 1919

I should say, that Susans siblings Thomas and Mary went to New Brunswick through Middlemore homes. I already have information regarding them. Mary died when she was 17 and Thomas married Lillian Bell. And John (my great-grandad) returned to the UK in 1921 and then married Daisy H Cork, after serving with the Canadian Forces in WW1.

Staffordshire: Arnott, Haynes, Withington, Griggs
Berwickshire: Hogg
Kinross-shire: Young, Barrie
Western Australia: Matthew Haynes (b.1900, Stafford)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 January 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. 
Unfortunately I can't get access to the Barnardos records as I am not a direct descendant. However; the nice woman there sent the information which I original mentioned about Susan. I didn't even know that there was a Susan Haynes. Susans last known address was Crescent Road, Toronto in Feb 1924

I had a similar problem with the NCH, - as the relatives of mine who were sent to Canada as 'Home Children' were my Great Uncles. However, I put together a file of Birth, Marriage, Death Certs etc, to show that there was a blood-link, & I was then sent their files; with a letter saying that although they would normally only be sent to Next of Kin, I had proved my link. And so it might be worth a try...?

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 February 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was also a Home child and sent to Peterborough. The name of the home was Hazelbrae, which I don't believe is still operational, but maybe a source to look into. I got a lot of information and documents by writing to the Bernardo Homes. It gave locations of service etc in Canada as well as circumstances as to why she was a Home child. The records continued in Canada until her marriage in 1899. there were even some additions of a brother trying to locate her in 1922.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rach

As she was in Toronto in 1924, I took a look for her in the online Globe and Mail to see if I could see a marriage or death - no luck. Searched up until 1970. 

Maybe someone with access to the Toronto Star could check there.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline rach27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to have a look, Linda. I really appreicate it.  :)
Staffordshire: Arnott, Haynes, Withington, Griggs
Berwickshire: Hogg
Kinross-shire: Young, Barrie
Western Australia: Matthew Haynes (b.1900, Stafford)