Author Topic: Dont be lead astray by your records/certs etc.  (Read 3942 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Dont be lead astray by your records/certs etc.
« on: Saturday 24 January 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
NEVER ASSUME,ALWAYS CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK

I have recently discovered my grandmothers birthplace in Madeley Shropshire.

I was lead astray by my grandparents marriage certificate. They married in Manchester. It stated that her father's name was William and so I searched for a William and duly found one living not more than a mile away from where they married, with the same occupation for her father as stated on the cert. Not only that but a witness was her sister.

Go to the census before her marriage and her 'parents' and siblings and her 'sister' are all there except my grandmother whom I couldnt find anywhere.
My grandparents named their children after some of their siblings and parents including her 'father' William and 'sister.

So I wrongly assumed that this was her line and traced it back via the census' and IGI etc.

Now I have had to scrub this entire section of the tree [105 names] and enter a raft of new ones.

This time I am sure as I can be. But I wont be happy until her birth certificate arrives next week.

I should have known better, I searched all over Lancashire and surrounding counties for my grandfather's birthplace, only to discover in the 1901 census that he was born in Staffordshire.

I had assumed he was a Lancashire man, seing as all the children [including my father] were born there.

I am off to check the rest of the tree and connections.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dont be lead astray by your records/certs etc.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 January 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Don't completely scrap them, you never know they might just fit in somewhere, if no use to you they might be  useful to another

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 January 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I still have them on a disc as well as all the connections down the line.

I have just removed them from my tree programme.

Somebody somewhere might find a use one day.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 January 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I know it is very frustrating to lead yourself in a wrong direction, it is easily done, pleased you haven't completely destroyed them

Happy hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline vickim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Had the same thing happen to me. Everything fit like a glove. Even found some descendants of the person- Stanley -who had been the only one listed in that year!!
Then I received copy of a letter which had gone to various people from a lawyer in UK-basically stating that children of particular people would share in a will. And this family weren't there (and they were UK based).

So started digging around and decided that it would be worth revisiting all of my work around this family and in particular this individual.

I knew that the parents had given the eldest child exactly the same names as the mother (all 4 names) so wondered if Stanley was also given all of the fathers names-3 of them and if Stanley was a second or third name. I knew the mother called herself by one of her other names so wondered if Stanley was called that to stop confusion with his father William.

Found an birth index one with 3 initials and when I mentioned the error I had made to a relative in the UK he, unbeknowst to me, brought the certificate- and  sure enough Stanley was in fact William Stanley S even though on all census, people's memories of what relatives had said, etc he was Stanley.

Have kept the information on the 'other' Stanley as I had gathered quite a lot and am passing it on. Have taken it all off the database.

One good thing though is that an older gentleman that we thought was related is not upset as it has given him, so he says, the impetus to go looking for more of his rellies and to write down his side of the family history for his grandchildren.

However this is something that can happen to anyone in good faith.So my "somebody/somewhere" time has come.

My motto now is to double check the double checking!!!!
Cheers Vicki (New Zealand)
Greater London/Essex: Bayes, Bodley, Bower, Burdett, Collins,  Durieu (Durien), Foay, Flood, Greenfield, Hill, Ling, Livermore, Markham, Lewin, Urwin, Whitnall
Berkshire: Brunsden, Brunsdon, Butler
Wiltshire: Lush, Shergold, Coomb(e)s,
Kent: Coppins
Other regions: Bathurst, Coffin
Scotland: Waddell

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 January 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I should think this is a quite common happening.   You just can't rely on circumstance and coincidence can you, but an awful lot of people do.  And sometimes the errors aren't picked up.
It's essential to make the link with some documentation to take you back to the correct family. 

It's good that you've found the right family - plenty more hours of happy hunting as well  ;D   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline vickim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 January 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am delighted too that I found the mistake and corrected it but I was absolutely shattered when I realised the mistake. Was horrified in fact. But it is a good lesson ...
Cheers Vicki (new Zealand)
Greater London/Essex: Bayes, Bodley, Bower, Burdett, Collins,  Durieu (Durien), Foay, Flood, Greenfield, Hill, Ling, Livermore, Markham, Lewin, Urwin, Whitnall
Berkshire: Brunsden, Brunsdon, Butler
Wiltshire: Lush, Shergold, Coomb(e)s,
Kent: Coppins
Other regions: Bathurst, Coffin
Scotland: Waddell

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 January 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »

I too have had this experience, - & I think that one of the most disheartening things is the time wasted on trying to follow lines back through Censuses & Parish Records etc...when you actually have no links to them at all!

It all becomes extremely hit & miss if the names that you are trying to follow are relatively common ones, & you have no definate knowledge of exact Birth locations...

Especially when ancestors give only the haziest of information on the Censuses!!

Romilly ::) ::)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 January 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
The beauty of this now is that I have had a contact today from a 4th cousin 1R who has sent me a goldmine!.

All the details of certs, census,and some biographies, details and addresses of other 'cousins'. Sum of 20 years work apparently.

All she wanted in return was info on my gran for her database.

Well worth it after all.
Tree