Author Topic: Researching Iliffe/Townsend  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Researching Iliffe/Townsend
« on: Tuesday 20 April 04 19:58 BST (UK) »
Its a vain hope, but you never know!! My great grandmother Ellen Iliffe was born in Edinburgh, her maiden name Townsend. She was born in 1811. Her mother Elizabeth  born around 1781 in Edinburgh. Information is taken from 1841 census Manchester. Had no luck with any Scottish records. Am intrigued to know what brought them down to manchester, travel couldn't have been easy in those days. Are there any Townsends in Edinburgh?? Here's hoping or its the end of the line. Louisa.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Iliffe/Townsend
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 04 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa
Have you tried looking under Townsley or Townslie?
I have Townsend in my tree and have found they changed their name some time around 1850
My Townsends are from Glasgow and Ayrshire, sorry I haven't found any in the Edinburgh area, but you never know!
The scotlandspeople website may be able to help you, they have a discussion group there that is very helpful too
happy hunting
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Louisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 04 12:56 BST (UK) »
Ladybird.  Good suggestion. Will give it a try. Thanks for your interest. You think the thread has run out then up pops another reply and were off again!! Good luck with your research. Sorry we can't interconnect. Louisa.

Offline welshlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 04 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Louisa, I read your message about ILIFFE and TOWNSEND.  Elizabeth was christened Sept 25 1831 in Manchester Cathedral. She married George Bramwell in 185?. Her father was William ILIFFE and mother  Ellen, was TOWNSEND before her marriage. Elizabeth and George were my gggrandparents.

I hope I have this right and hope to hear from you.

Rita

Offline welshlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 October 04 15:35 BST (UK) »

Hello Louisa.
Thanks for the prompt reply, sorry i cant't help Re:Ellen, I haven't gone that far back yet. I've found a message on another board, Cousin Connected, which is almost the same as yours, but i didn't get a reply from that one.

Yes I have read about William in Yorkshire.

I was in Eyam August of this year, First time I have been there. Do you know any more about the Bramwells? I was a Bramwell before my maarriage.  Can I post my E-Mail address here? It would be nice to get to know each other as we seem to be relatives.

Best Wishes,
Rita

Offline welshlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 October 04 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Louisa, I think you are going to have to send me your address, when it comes to anything slightly complicated, i'm completly lost
My son isnt here to help out at the moment and I am impatient

Rita.