Author Topic: BOWEN FAMILY BIRTHS/DEATHS/CENSUS  (Read 4817 times)

Offline teecbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWEN FAMILY BIRTHS/DEATHS/CENSUS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 January 09 03:10 GMT (UK) »
heddwch, thanks so much for the link re: boatman.  I am sure that is my family as Owen was listed as a boatman in the census I have.

Tati,  I have access to ancestry.com but cant seem to find them...what are you using to find all your information??

Another bit of information, on the 1881 census it shows a William T Bowen, nephew living with them.  He is age 15 and a house carpenter. 

My grandmother, Margeret married William Rose Hadfield before my grandfather.  My understand is that he was lost at sea.  They had a son, Thomas Milton R. Hadfield, who became my father's half brother.  NOTE: the Milton name.  I am thinking Griffith Milton Bowen is her brother.  I know his middle initial was M.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.  It helps with my family genealogy research and hopefully finding a relative still over in Wales.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 January 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Wow Success at last!
Am so glad you have found your family relatives and a Griffin Milton Bowen at that that is living.
 It was wonderful to get such good results.

Cheers
Heddwch

Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline teecbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 February 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you both for all the information as it really helped.  I did make the phone call to one of the Bowens and their daughter will be calling me so we can discuss the family.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 February 09 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Western Mail 21st December 1899
Local  Police Courts – Penarth
Wednesday (Before Colonel Thornley and Mt J Duncan)

A PAINFUL CASE
   Rosie Annie Bowen told the bench a painful story. She was only married as recently as October 9, but a month later she gave birth to a child. Her husband, she said, told her he married her just to save her family from disgrace, but now she came before the court to ask for an order for desertion, her husband (Griffith M Bowen, a boatman and rigger earning, it was alleged, £3 or £4 a week) having left her on the 2nd inst., and ever since he had refused to live with her. He had not contributed anything towards her support since he left her, but he had given her 4s 6d to procure milk for the baby. She had asked him what he intended to do for her, but he replied “Nothing” and told her to go to ---- or the workhouse, as he did not want her. He had threatened to cut her throat, and she was obliged to go downstairs one night to avoid his threats of violence
Colonel Thornley: What have you got to say?
Defendant: Nothing. I have done all I could for her, and I will do no more. I have offered her 8s a week.
Colonel Thornley: It is very sad to see a young married couple like you unable to live together.
Mr Duncan: Can’t you make some arrangement whereby you may return to live with each other.
Defendant: No, she has refused to live with me, and I now refuse to live with her. Every offer I made to her she has refused.
Complainant: He has made no offer to me.
Mr Duncan: Nothing can be better for the future of both of you than to make it up and live amicably together.
   Defendant, who denied he earned £3 or £4 a week, was ordered ro contribute 14s per week towards the maintenance of his wife and child, but if the parties made up their differences the order would cease.
Defendant: I can’t pay it.
Mr Duncan: Then you must go to prison in default, so that it will be better for you to make it up with your wife.

Offline teecbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 02:31 GMT (UK) »
  The Griffith Milton Bowen in my family married his wife in 1899 but his wife's name is Rose Hannah.  Where did you find the above info?

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Information was extracted from Western Mail on Gale Database 19th Century Newspapers.

1901 Census
Penarth
Griffith Bowen     Head 20  Boatman  Penarth
Rose H Bowen    Wife  21                  Cowbridge
Edmond Bowen  Son    1                    Penarth

Searching Free BMD for Bowen's born Cardiff quarter December 1899
Benjamin Bowen
Edmund Llewellyn O Bowen

Buying marriage certificate of Griffith or birth cert of Edmund may help.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I guess Annie name was Hannah
Regards
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline teecbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 02:42 GMT (UK) »
  Do you think there is a chance they are not one in the same?  I know Griffith Milton Bowen stayed with his wife (at least the one with Rose Hannah).

Offline sesewills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 May 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was doing a search for my grandmothers maiden name and came across your post.  My grandmother Catherine Emily Ann Stockdale has a sister Winifred Stockdale who immigrated to the US and settled in New York in Hastings on Hudson.  Please contact me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php