Author Topic: CHAPELL/ROSSITER? - Milton, Sittingbourne  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHAPELL/ROSSITER? - Milton, Sittingbourne
« on: Saturday 31 January 09 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Okay so... My great great grandfather is James Chapell, born 1842 in Milton, Sittingbourne. He married Emma Smith/Kennett in 1867. His father is William Chapell, born 1802. (I think in West Malling, though this isn't absolute fact.) His mother is Sarah Sillis, born 1813 in Sittingbourne. (William and Sarah married 1830 in Gillingham.) William Chapell's father is another William Chapell, whose wife's name is Elizabeth.

I am researching a possible connection with my Milton Chapells, and a woman named Mary Chapell, born 1819 Milton, who married Richard Rossiter (born 1813 Sittingbourne) in  1837. Both Richard Rossiter and the Chapells I mentioned earlier worked in the brickfields + as mariners. I want to find out if there is a connection between Mary Ann and James/William/William...as a sibling, cousin, etc. But the records needed are too early. Does anyone have any information on this? (Access to parish records, etc?)

I am interested in anything regarding William's siblings (ie William and Elizabeth's children), or the latter William's parents, etc.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: CHAPELL/ROSSITER? - Milton, Sittingbourne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
hello midnight rambler,me again.ive had a reply from a GenesReunited memberwhose given me some more chapells,not your james yet,but still useful i think.mary chapell(1819) siblings were robert b1801,william b1802(married sarah unknown),george b1810(brickmaker),james b1812,john born and died 1914,thomas b1819-1878.all born milton area.their parents were robert b1781 kent and ann handfird b1781 kent.the siblings of robert(1781) were george b1782,rebecca 1784,mildred 1787,george 1789,frances 1797-1837,james 1799,samuel 1799 all born milton or kent.their parents were john born 1752 place unknown and frances beale born 1757 milton.frances beales parents were john beale b1732 and ann kedwell.this info came from a direct descendent of george chapell(1810) and seems pretty well researched,but any public tree info needs to be confirmed.im thinking  that james maybe ascended from one of these other lines,i have a hunch hes probably hiding in their somewhere.ill do a bit more digging and get back if i find anything else,regards,nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 14:18 GMT (UK) »
midnight rambler,im an idiot.ive just noticed that mary anns brother william born 1802 married to sarah unknown is your william.the problem is i have him down as the son of robert chapell and ann handfird,you have him as the son of william and elizabeth.is your info confirmed,if so i need to get back to my contact to see where her in info came from.look forward to hearing from you,nel. 

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 09 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh my gosh!!!!!! That is amazing that you learned all that! It definitely looks like him! (Though yes, confirmation is helpful, of course.)

No, it is not confirmed that my William's parents are William and Elizabeth. I have that from a tree I viewed on ancestry.ca, and it seemed to match my William...but I found it strange that they listed the birth place as West Malling (not Milton.) I hadn't been able to find birth records for 1802 William, other than the West Malling one.

Anyway, I think that the info you found is definitely the connection...making William's parents Robert and Ann... Thank you for sharing that. Do you have a link to this member's tree? (can i find it on GenesReunited? or was this information given through private messages?)

Thank you again for your help!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Richard ROSSITER and Mary Ann CHAPEL(L) is actually on the IGI http://www.familysearch.org where Mary Ann's father is indeed given as Robert - this is an extracted (ie. extracted from parish records) entry so should be ok assuming that it has been transcribed correctly.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Okay so... My great great grandfather is James Chapell, born 1842 in Milton, Sittingbourne. He married Emma Smith/Kennett in 1867. His father is William Chapell, born 1802. (I think in West Malling, though this isn't absolute fact.) His mother is Sarah Sillis, born 1813 in Sittingbourne. (William and Sarah married 1830 in Gillingham.)

I am researching a possible connection with my Milton Chapells, and a woman named Mary Chapell, born 1819 Milton, who married Richard Rossiter (born 1813 Sittingbourne) in  1837.

OK, I realise that this thread is quite old but I was reading through it because of the Rossiter connection and I came up with some info that I found elsewhere.

As has already been suggested, your James Chapell was a nephew to Mary Ann Chapell who married Richard Rossiter.  I found a user-submitted tree via a genealogy software programme that I use that gives some details on his family.... whether or not the details are 100% correct, I have no way of knowing and it may be that you already have all these names by now anyway....

William Chapell married Sarah Anne Hodges (b. 1813, Chatham, Kent) - note the difference in surname, Hodges, not Sillis.

One of their sons is listed as James Olen Chapell (1842 - 1924) married Emma Smith (1847 - 1926).  There are about 11 children listed to this couple but you may already have those details .....?  If not, I can copy them here for you.

James's siblings are listed as George (1832), Jane (1839-1915), Richard (1843), John (1847-1891), Mary Ann (1851-1852) and Robert (?-1837)

Regards
Scallyw

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is helpful! Thanks for your reply. I've seen both Hodges and Sillis used for Sarah, and I am not sure which is which. Or if it's both. (As Emma is referred to as a Smith and Kennett because of her mother's marriages.)

I'm now going after Emma's father, George Smith, and her mother Harriet. I can find zero information on Harriet's family. I think they were married around 1837-1839 in Kent but I don't have records yet have records for that. If you stumble upon anything to do with them, let me know!

Thanks again for your help.

Offline alphabetsoupstudio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have just started researching my family tree and couldn't help but want to pop in here and say that I believe that James Chapell is ALSO my great-great-grandfather. His son George Edward (1877-1959) is my great-grandfather, who came to Canada with his wife and family in 1912. I say "I believe" rather than "I know" because, unfortunately, I do not have much family information on my Chapell side. I will definitely be interested to learn of any further information that surfaces  :)
Cheers!
Chapell, Wiles, Hay, Windover, McGrath, Severud, Locken, Whelan

Offline Midnight_rambler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome!

Most of my information can be found on my ancestry.ca tree, which it looks like you've found. (At least, I can see your activity for William Chapell on my homepage-- my name on there is kathryncass1.)

I did recently find out some clues on Harriet Smith's side. (Emma's mother.) She's born 1816 in Stoke to James and Hannah Mitchell. (Though that's not 100% confirmed.) (You can see my thread for the Mitchells in this forum, I think. Or maybe I posted it in the Kent forum...ha, ha.)

My connection to the Chapells is through my grandmother, Kate Chapell, who moved to Canada from Kent after WWII.