Author Topic: 1911 Canadian census look-up please  (Read 3997 times)

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 Canadian census look-up please
« on: Tuesday 03 February 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »

In 1910 Maud Varney arrived from England with her parents and siblings, but she is not with them in the 1911 census. Can anyone please find her?

Thank you

Carol

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Canadian census look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Could you supply more information please?

When and where was Maud born, what were her parents names and where were the parents living when you found them on the 1911?

dollylee

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »

Dollylee

Sorry,  Maud was born 1882 St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England, parents were James and Emily Varney. The family arrived in Canada 1910. In the 1911 Canadian census they were living 40 Pendrith Avenue, Toronto.

Carol

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Totally lost my answer when I went to post it !!!

Only Maud Varney on 1911 is in Ottawa with her aunt Sarah Leroy and is b. 1891 and Irish.  I checked the original on this Maud and it is transcribed correctly.

I did try all the suggested variations for Varney  but still came up empty.

I will look later on a different site, hopefully someone will come along to help.

Have to go for now.

dollylee

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 03:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for an Ellen Varney, 23, who married Herbert William Martin on 3 Aug 1907 . Her parents are listed as James Varney and Emily Gentle. Is she related to your family?

I didn't see any marriages for a Maud Varney yet but will keep looking.

Jacquie

Edited to correct name of groom - I transposed his given name and his surname.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dollylee for your help.

Jacquie,
Ellen Varney the daughter of James Varney and Emily Gentle is the sister of Maud who I'm looking for, Emily is not,as far as I know, listed on the passenger list with her parents and siblings when arriving in Canada 1910. I assume Ellen married in Canada? could you please give any other details on Ellen's marriage. Thank you

Carol

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
In case you'd not found it...while looking saw marriage for William Arthur Varney to Lena Victoria RENNIE
1923  Toronto, James H. Varney wittness  : http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/tor1923p5.htm
(Hmm...that marriage info sounds familiar...) If no one finds a marriage for Maud I'll look closer at the 1911
J.J.
Also available ...ask for a lookup if you don't have for: George Robert Varney, George Robert,
Rose Diamond Jabelie Varney, (  ;D Hey, the diamond Jubilee Rose!) and James Herbert Varney..

Looked for the Herberts as thought Maud might be with Ellen, but can't spot her either...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Carol, if you PM me your email address I will send you the image of Ellen's marriage registration as well as George Robert, James Herbert, Rose Diamond Jubilee and William Arthur Varney.

I think I found a marriage for Minnie as well. I couldn't find the marriage registration at Ancestry but there is a form that was to be filled in by the clergyman who performed the ceremony there. It has Minnie Elizabeth Varney marrying Algernon Barrett on 25 Jun 1913. Minnie's father is said to be James Varney, bricklayer but the box for her mother's name is blank.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find one for Maud.

Do you have an exact birth date for Maud? At Ancestry, I can do a search of the 1911 census by inputting her month and year of birth and seeing how many Mauds born in England there were and possible find her that way.

Do you have the Canadian passenger list that Maud was on? I'm asking as I noticed in your first post you say she arrived with her parents (plural) however the passenger list indicates that her father wasn't with the family and that they were going to join him. Maud and family arrived on 16 Apr 1910 aboard the Canada. Here's a link to a passenger list at Library and Archives Canada:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003684597.jpg
Here's the passenger list for James Varney who arrived in Quebec on 2 Jul 1909 aboard the Virginian:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003557848.jpg
It indicates that he was going to join his son-in-law in Toronto which fits in with the 1907 marriage of Ellen.

Here's a link to the 1911 census at Library and Archives Canada for Herbert and Ellen (Varney) Martin and their two children (family starts at line 34):
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911/pdf/e002028988.pdf

I found a passenger list entry for a Miss ? Varney who arrived on 29 Mar 1906 aboard the Virginian. The initial is difficult to read although it was transcribed as an "N" I think it could still be Ellen. It was the only female Varney who I could find who arrived in 1906 (which is the year of immigration she lists on the 1911 census) and she was going to Toronto. She is on the same ticket as a Wheeler family. Here's a link to the passenger list:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003697837.jpg

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 February 09 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J

Jacquie has very kindly sent me the marriages of the Varney children.

It is just Maud Varney that can't be found after arriving in Canada 1910.

Thanks for your help.

Carol