Author Topic: McGuire- California  (Read 1874 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
McGuire- California
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for descendants of the Mcquire family who originated in Louisiana, lived in California in 1900's.
Names:  Percy,McGuire married Virginia Pomeroy daughter Kathleen born (*) son James Pomeroy McGuire born San Francisco (*) died Mexico 1959.

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See here for posting guidelines and links to advice on searching for living people:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living

Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: McGuire- California
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The 1930 census shows 3 people named Percy McGuire in Louisiana:

b. 1884, living in Bienville, Arcadia Parish, La
b. 1910, living in Police Jury Ward 7, East Carroll Parish, La
b. 1892, living in Police Jury Ward 3, St. Charles Parish, La
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 09 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have the family in the census of 1930 in
District 244, San Francisco (Districts 1-250), San Francisco County, California
2331 Anst Street

I am trying to find the McGuire's daughter Kathleen, in particular. I havent discovered if she married and had children. Its possible she is still alive. Parents Percy and Virginia .
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1930 census:
the address could possibly be 2334 Anza Street.
Percy McGuire's occupation is Advertising Agent, Advertising.  Percy's father was born in New York, his mother was born in Louisiana.

On the top of the page is:
Ralph L(?) McGuire, born in California; his father was born in New Orleans and mother was born in New York.  His occupation: Salesman, Advertising.

Could Ralph's parents' information be incorrect and could Ralph and Percy be brothers?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
1920 California census:
Percy J and Ralph C(?) are living with their father and uncle in San Francisco.  Their father was born in New York, their mother in Louisiana.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I found Kathleen's birth.  She is listed under McQuire.  It gives her exact birthdate.
-----------
I found this, while trying to find information about Kathleen:
"We found Edgar and Mattie with son Gordon living in Alameda..."
If that is your information, may I clarify, please?  There is a city called Alameda, but there is also a county with the same name.  Edgar and Mattie were actually living in Oakland, in the County of Alameda.  Hope this helps. :)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
 What I have is this
Virginia Pomeroy and Percy McGuire date and place of marriage unknown
Virginia was daughter of Campbell Pomeroy born Liverpool area England  1871 migrated to USA 1888 with brother Edgar. I have that whole tree.
 Campbell married Leana Moffatt Hanger circa 1902 in Augusta Virginia
children
Kathleen born 24 Jun 1927
maybe died 1999 San Bernadina CA

James Campbell McGuire  born 28 Nov 1931
died Mexico 1952

Ralph C, McGuire is new to me.

When I wrote it up I did think Alameda was just a town now I know it is also a county.
What Im trying to find is descendants of the McGuires. Would love to find out why  James Campbell McGuire was in Mexico when he died. He would have been very young, only about 28.

Thank you for what you have sent do far!
 foxy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foxy:

The California Birth Index for Kathleen McQuire, with the mother's maiden name Pomeroy, does not show the birthdate you listed.  I can send the birthdate privately, if you like?  This Kathleen was born in San Francisco County.

If the Birth Index is correct, I don't believe Kathleen has passed away in California.  I did a search, only using her first name and her exact birthdate.  There were no hits for that combination.

It's always good to have exact information, so in case your Kathleen did actually pass away in 1999, it was probably San Bernardino, which is in Southern California.

James may have been visiting Mexico.  It isn't uncommon for Californians to visit Mexico.  Could he also have been there, work related?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 19:29 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't seen this site:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfranvit.htm
After a quick look, I didn't see anything helpful, but it was just a quick search.

This may have more:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/index.htm

I'm not sure if this is your McGuire family:
1910, San Francisco
McGuire, John J, age 51, married 20 years, born New York, father born United States, mother born Ireland; Weigher, Sugar Refinery
Mary E, wife, age 45, married 20 years, 4 children 3 still living, born Louisiana, father born England, mother born Ireland
Charles J, son, age 18, born California
Percy J, son, age 10, born California
Ralph C?, son, age 6, born California
Living with them were Charles J Fox, Bro in law, age 47, married 21 years, born California, parents born England, Clerk, Wholesale Drugs(?) and
Margaret Fox, Sister in law, age 47, married 21 years, no children, born Louisiana, parents born in England
Living at 903 Treat Avenue

1900 census:
Included with the family is
Jennie(?) McGuire, born Feb 1891
birth months were:
John J, Nov 1858
Mary E, Nov 1864
Charles J, Mar 1892
Percy J, June 1899
Charles J. Fox, Feb 1863
Maggie Fox, Sept 1863