Author Topic: I am absolutely gutted!  (Read 5817 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: I am absolutely gutted!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 February 05 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Photos of the part of the family I am researching were probably destroyed in a fire in a storage shed when my g-grandparents had been in Australia some time, and thrown out when my grandparents' home was being cleared out after their deaths.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had at least a few of these photos!

So I really feel for you, Pauline. 

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 February 05 13:29 GMT (UK) »

I got one last week in fact (it cost me 30 pence!!!) it's a wonderful portrait of a very pretty lady and I estimate that it was taken circa 1897 and it's in superb condition but the best thing is that the ladies name is on the back 'Emma Painter'. I've had a look for her name on the census returns for Leytonstone where the photo was taken but as yet I can't locate her and I probably never will.

Mick,

Someone on the Hampshire Board is researching an Emma Painter!!

See... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24537.0.html

You never know!! She may be "the one"!
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 February 05 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou to all for your replies.

Obviously i'm not the only one that has lost valuable information. If only they had known just what they were doing at the time!

Best wishes to all
Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 February 05 08:37 GMT (UK) »
I reckon these losses are just the tip of the iceberg. I guess for most people space always has been at a premium and something has to go....
And a message for Mickey M: I think as late as 1901 part of Leytonstone was included under Wanstead

Offline ann johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 February 05 12:32 GMT (UK) »
hi
i did the very same
my gran died (my last surviving memeber on my mums side after my mums death)
i found all sorts in her house birth certificates of unkown relatives letters saying her 1st husband which i new nothing about was a deserter of the australian army and now guess what i am doing her family tree and all the info i need was tipped years ago and all my answers where in that stuff
it is gutting and now i am stuck looking for info   :-[

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 February 05 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Going back to Mickeym's posting. In 1901 Census ( RG13/1628 folio 101) at 1 North Road, Walthamstow (about 2 mile from Leytonstone) were Emma Painter age 31 with husband Henry Painter age 38 (coal porter) with children William 3, Frederick 2 and Albert 5mos.
And  :o-would you adam and eve it- at the same address was F. Cork photographer.
Maybe it's her in the photo after becoming a mum for the very first time

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 February 05 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Luckily for me, my story goes the other way about ! My grandmother died several years ago and left loads of stuff in her flat, including a big plastic bag of photos - my mother, who was clearing the estate - asked the rest of the family to claim these or they would be thrown away. No-one did and my mother told me recently that they had been thrown away - miracle of miracles - turns out that my (at the time) teenage cousin picked them up and hung on to them. Until now he wasn't sure who they were of but I have been able, by comparison and detective work, to identify my three times great grandparents on both sides - lucky lucky me !

Cheers, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Amy K

Thanks for the info about Emma Painter on the Hampshire board,I will send them a PM :) The lady in the photograph is probably too young to be the same one (if I've dated it correctly!!)

Clincher

The Emma Painter that you have found in the 1901 seems to be about the right age!! and she's in the right area so I'm quietly confident ;)

Interesting that she is living above a photographers as well,although the on the back of the card the photographers name is given as Waghorn & Son  395 High Road Leytonstone.

I shall see if I can discover any more about this Emma Painter in Walthamstow and when my scanners repaired I'll post the pic so that you can see who we're talking about. :)

Thanks for your help,

Best wishes,Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Cecilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 February 05 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I am happy to say that last week I saw a photograph of my Grandparents for the first time.  My Uncle had kept them, and when I tracked  down that part of the family I was sent copies.
I can't begin to tell you how exciting it was to see these faces, and be able to spot the family likeness.  Grandmother died in the 1930s and Grandfather in 1942 I think. Don't despair, you never know when you find members of the family, just who has kept what.  :D