Author Topic: Cutler's Farm, Lane End  (Read 17191 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cutler's Farm, Lane End
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been to Lane End quite recently and on the way out via the High Street, Heading towards Wycombe, there is a Farmhouse called "Cutler's Farm". I had an ancestor called William Cutler, who was a farmer in Park Lane, West Wycombe. I just wondered if anyone knew anything about a Cutler's farm?

I have checked the census' and the adress in Lane End is listed, although my Ancestor is not included on the 1841 census, could anyone search him on the 1851 census? It would be interesting to know where he lived at the time of the census.

His name is William Cutler and he was born about 1770 (approx date).

Thanks,
Matt

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Cutler's Farm, Lane End
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

A possible

William Cutler head wid 76? retired farmer Bucks Lane End
James Trendall? lodger mar 22 shoe maker Bucks W Wycombe
Hannah     "        wife mar 35                                 "

living at Lane End,W Wycombe,  Bucks

H0107/ 1720
folio 165
page 1

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 08 10:00 GMT (UK) »

William Cuttler 65 farmer born in county
Elizabeth   "     50            Not born in county
John          "    20             Born in county
Richard       "   15                     "
Sarah?        "    15                    "

living at Lane End, West Wycombe, Bucks

H0107/ 55/16
folio not given
page 1

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Yeah That's him.

For some reason, Find my Past doesn't have him on the 1841 and doesn't have the 1851 census anyway.

Thanks alot,
Matt

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

your welcome

regards
ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
I own and live in Cutlers, Lane End - the old brick and flint farmhouse! Have been through the deeds but they only go back as far as earlier 20th century so no help there, but if you find out more I would be very interested as it would be lovely to know more about the house! The farmland was all sold off in the 1960s - including the title "Cutlers Farmhouse" (which went to a nearby cottage - possible the old labourer's cottage) - so the old farmhouse is now just Cutlers!
Cheers
Cat

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 09 06:40 GMT (UK) »
TOPIC SPLIT AND MOVED TO CORRECT THREAD

Hi Matt
For some reason (I am  completely new to this site!) I cannot reply to your posting to me re Cutlers Farm so I found a different message from you and am replying to this instead! I'm afraid I really do not know much about the house as I have not yet done any research on it. Deerhams Farm does ring bells - I will ask around - there are a lot of old people in the village with tales to tell. When we bought the house they said it dated back to around the 1830s but I have not seen evidence of this. I am so sorry I cannot offer any further info.
What do you know of the Cutlers family in Lane End?
Cheers
Cat

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 February 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Thanks you for the kind offer to ask around, I live about an hour away from Lane End but sadly am a few years younger than the legal driving age!

The Cutler Family, as far back as I can trace it, came from Lewknor, Oxfordshire, about 6.5 miles from Lane End, about 5 miles from Fingest. The earliest ancestor i have is Richard Cutler, a labourer. His son Richard had a son called William, my great x6 grandfather. William mentions Deerhams Farm in his will from 1788, which he wrote two days before his death on 8 Dec 1788. He was buried at Fingest.

His son William was the early 19th century farmer on Park Lane. He was baptized in 1775 and died in Janueary 1853, leaving "tenemant and garden orchard and outbuildings... situated at Lane End" and meadow ground : "all those my four meadows situated at Lane End, containing by estimation seven acres and a half" and also his "cottage, garden and premesis with the arable land thereunto adjoining containing by estimation about nine acres, situated at Park Lane".

William had a son, also called William, b. 1810. William's brother John married Elizabeth Haines, a single woman from Princes Risboro', as his second wife, in 1873. She was the proprieter of "The Old Sun" public house on Church Road. Also, William and John's brother Richard married Elizabeth Carr, who upon his death in 1870, moved in with her brother (also called Richard) in "the Old Arm Chair" public house, on The High Street, opposite the duck pond.

William married Ann Harris in 1834 in Dorney, BKM and had 9 children, my great-great-great grandfather was their third child. His name was Reuben Cutler. He married in 1859 to Sarah Ann Atkins, at Great Marlow. They had 8 children, their eldest being my great-great-grandfather.

Reuben was a trustee of the Wesleyan Chapel in Lane End, and "seldom missed a service", the Bucks Free Press reported. He died in 1912. I think that he lived in Church Path, just across the road from Daisy Cottages, where his eldest daughter Jane lived. He battled illness for the last few years of his life, becoming bed-bound in Summer 1911. I have the obituary from the Bucks Free Press if you would like to see it.

The eldest son of Reuben, Walter William, moved to Manchester in about 1883. He had 8 children with his wife Mary Ann Bennell, who died in 1918 from Influenza. Their daughter Emily was borin on 22 August 1899, and she is my great-grandmother. She married in 1922 to Robert Gadd. They had 7 children, my grandmother being the sixth. Her name is Joyce. Robert and Emily's eldest son was killed in the Battle of Monte-Cassino, 22 July 1944. Robert died on 31 Dec 1968, and Emily on 22 July 1977.

Alot to take in, I know, but that is my heritage through the years with the Cutler Family.

Have you started to chase your heritage too?

Regards,
Matt.

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 February 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
Wow - you have done a fantastic job tracking your family. I am fascinated by it all but I am considerably older than you and have two children considerably younger so time is not readily available! I keep saying "one day I will do it.....!".
Your info is so interesting - I am going to print it off and put it with the house deeds if you don't mind so if I hear anything I will refer to it and see if it links up.
In the meantime good luck with your search and if you are ever passing and want to come by and have a little look then do give us a knock! I expect things have changed considerably but the definitions in the will do tally - there was a labourer's cottage and outbuildings (we know from the amount of rubble in the ground when we have done garden work and from the deeds) and there are 3 fields to the side of us and one to the back (no longer part of the property)which would match his mention of 4 fields; plus there was I am sure an orchard - we have only just had to chop down the last old apple trees as they were on their last legs.
Cheers
Cat