Author Topic: COMPLETED! can anyone help connect these two LAWRENCE families please?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Strange Flowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED! can anyone help connect these two LAWRENCE families please?
« on: Thursday 05 February 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm afraid i've hit a brickwall and am hoping for some help on trying to connect two Lawrence families, one in Crewkerne in the 1841 census and the other in Merriot in the 1851 census.

I have traced my GT Grandfather George Lawrence back to the 1851 census: Piece: 1928; Folio: 348; Page: 4

John Lawrence Head married age 52 Labourer born Merriot somerset
Ann Lawrence wife age 40? born Merriot Somerset
George Lawrence Son age 8 born Merriot Somerset
Elizabeth Lawrence Daur age 1 born Marriot Somerset

I know that John is George's father because it says this on his marriage cert to my Gt Grandmother.
The age of George is correct(born 1843) but John and Ann King married in 1847 so Ann can't be his mother.
So this means that John was married before he met Ann.
I am 99% sure i have the correct birth cert of George born in Crewkerne in 1843 and it says John Lawrence is the father and a Sarah Trump is the mother.
The reason i say 99% sure is because there are only 2 born in the right district(Chard) and at the right time. The other entry is an ilegitimate child.

Hope i'm not confusing anybody but i have found John and Sarah Lawrence(nee Trump)in the 1841 census: HO107; Piece 940; Book: 3, District: 3; Folio: 46; Page: 25; Line: 19;

John Lawrence Sawyer age 30
Sarah Lawrence age 30
Charles Lawrence age 2

John and Sarah were married in Hawkchurch Dorset in 1837 according to the IGI.
Looking at parish records, there was an Henry who was born in 1837, then Charles in 1839, then a Jane in 1842, and then George born in 1843.

I have looked for this family in the 1851 census and can't find them - i would guess that Sarah, Henry and Jane have all died.

My problem is that if this is my Gt Grandfather George's  parents, then why would John have aged 22 years in 10 years.

Also another thing that makes me wonder is i've managed to find the marriage between John Lawrence and Ann King in 1847 and it just doesn't look right: 

17.10.1847; John LAWRENCE; bachelor of Bradford Abbas of full age; labourer; ? LAWRENCE; labourer;
Thomas RING; Henry ARNOLD (witnesses)
17.10.1847; Ann KING; spinster of Bradford Abbas of full age; ?Peter KING; labourer

If this is the same John, then wouldn't it say Widower? Surely Ann must have known about George when she married him.

Sorry for the long explanation, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help connect these two Lawrence families in Somerset please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a death showing for a Sarah Lawrence, Dec q, 1843, Chard, vol 10 page 275.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
and two possibles for Charles Lawrence in Chard RD:

Sept Q, 1845, vol 10 page 225

June Q, 1849, vol 10 page 264
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 February 09 14:43 GMT (UK) »
and two deaths for Jane Lawrence, again Chard:

June q, 1842 Vol 10 Page

June q, 1842 Vol 10 Page 258

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
also a death of Henry Lawrence, in Chard, March q, 1829, vol 10, page 270

I think it might be worth getting the certificate for the marriage to Ann to get the name of John's father. You might then be able to link him to the one previously married to Sarah.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Ref for the marriage is:

Dec Q, 1847, Sherborne, vol 8 page 195

Gadget  :)

Offline Strange Flowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Thanks so much for taking a look for me and i'll definately try and investigate the death entries and marriage entry you've found - they certainly look good.

If this is the right John Lawrence, i'm still worried that he's aged 22 years between the 1841 and 1851 census and also he has said he's a batchelor when he married Ann King.

Cheers,
Craig

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 February 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't worry too much about the bachelor bit - it happens quite frequently.

Re his age - again people often just gave a rough age on censuses. The 1841 ages were grouped into 5 year bands for those over 15 so he would be 30-34 on the 1841. Have you checked the 1841 and 1851 original images. There might be a transcription error as well.

Have you got them on the 1861?

Gadget

PS - Sarah's death cert should give an address which you can compare with George's birth cert.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 February 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
No think they are different families

I've just checked the 1841 and John is a Sawyer. On the 1861, Bishops Hill , there is a John Lawrence, aged 51, wife Sarah, aged 54.  He is also a  sawyer:

RG9/1619 F 14 p 23