Author Topic: Finding soldier's next of kin?COMPLETED  (Read 1470 times)

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Finding soldier's next of kin?COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I posted a query on the Common Room Board, but wondered if you experts had any ideas.

I found an entry on the National Roll of the Great War for a man with the same initials as my gr.dad and living in the same street my nan's family lived, but I do know there were a couple of families in the area with the same surname. 
I did find the medal card for this man but I won't be able to visit TNA for some time yet.  Is there any way I can find this man's next of kin other than his service records?  Is there any on line resources for finding service records other than Ancestry?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sandie

Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding soldier's next of kin?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie

The army records for WW1 are the pension files (in WO363 at Kew) and the service records (in WO364 at Kew). Both are on microfilm. The pension files were obtained from the Pension Department to try and fill the gap left when 70-80% of service records were destroyed during WW2. The service records are the 20-30% that survived. You should check both as it is possible that a man has a record in each series. Equally if you do not find a pension file for a man who you know received one, you should still check the service records, as if his papers were not destroyed they did not need to obtain a copy from the pensions department.

Ancestry were awarded the contract to digitize the WO363 and 364 microfilms. They have completed WO363 and have completed up to the Ns in WO364. So the answer to your question is that only Ancestry can provided anything online. BTW..the definition of 'WW1' is anyone discharged between 1914 and 1920 inclusive. If he served into 1921 (as an OR) his papers should still be with the MOD.

Regarding NoK details, you will not find these on the medal index cards, except in a tiny %age of cases when an address appears on the back of the card. Only the cards being published by Ancestry show the back.

I have only come across NoK details in a few places. Firstly on the service records. Also on SDGW and the CWGC website, obviously only for men who were killed, and on the National Rolls. These were produced by subscription - either paid for by the family of a man who died, or the man himself, as they also record men who took part, without being killed.

If the man was alive in 1918, and over 21, you could ask at his local council office to see if he appears in the Electoral Roll. Either in the main roll, or (better) in the Absent Voters List which usually give full army details of regiment and number. You can then link the address to the rest of his family. Not all councils produced an AVL.

The chances of finding a service record is greatly inceased if the man was in the Guards or Household Cavalry, as they held a second copy in a separate place. Or if the man was commissioned during WW1 as a copy of his OR service was attached to his application, and these were not destroyed during WW2.

If you post the man's details I am sure someone with an Ancestry account will do a lookup for you.

Ken

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

I knew I wouldn't get next of kin from the medal card, I just wanted to get the man's number to help locate his service records.

I know rootschatters are really helpful with lookups, but his name is 'Welch' and as you say Ancestry haven't got that far yet.

As for the electoral rolls, I don't think they would help as the piece I found on the National Roll gave an address, but I don't know how/where to find any other residents there.

I'll just have to wait a couple of months until I can get to Kew - I've been looking for my gr.dad for about 11 years so another couple of months isn't long to wait I suppose!

Thanks again,
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, me again with another daft question!

I've just re-read the piece I found in the National Roll and it said that this Mr. Welch was mobilised from the Reserve at the outbreak of hostilities.  What is the Reserve?  When I do get to the archives would this help me locate this man?

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Sandie

You said that you had the medal card; if so, then your search at Kew is greatly aided by this, as you have not only the regiment he served with but also his regimental number.

As a Reservist your man would have been a former Regular soldier; and having served his time with the colours would then go on to serve a period of time as a 'Reserve' soldier, as part of his contract, ie, in the event of an emergency he would be obligated for recall to the colours.
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the explanation.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie

If your soldier served before WW1 there is a good chance that these pre-WW1 Service Records are available for viewing (not on microfiche) ... well that was the case the last time I visited Kew, but that was a wee while ago now.

Those discharged before 1913 are listed under WO97; the staff at Kew will keep you right.

Anne  :)
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
As for the electoral rolls, I don't think they would help as the piece I found on the National Roll gave an address, but I don't know how/where to find any other residents there.

If you can tell us the address, somebody might be able to tell you where the local electoral registers/absent voters lists, if they survive, are.  Those for 1918/1919 should list all men over 21 and women over 30 for each household.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Casalguidi

Thanks for the info. re. age of women on electoral roll.  I didn't realise women were included then.

The address was Stanton Street, Peckham, SE15, I know Southwark should hold the registers but when I rang the other day to ask where they would be held they weren't very helpful - I think I picked a bad 'snow' day.  It was only after I thought it wouldn't help me with the wife's name, but now..

Thanks again
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.