Author Topic: Albert Pomeroy  (Read 3272 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Albert Pomeroy
« on: Friday 06 February 09 14:17 GMT (UK) »
This isn't for me, but I've been trying to help my step-father-in-law(very interesting family we have ;) ).  We are just beginning his family tree but are stuck at the very first hurdle. I've been looking into it for the last month and I'm hoping someone can help. Hopefully Ive posted this in the right spot but as there are several counties and we are efectively starting I thought here would be best.

I have the birth details of his father; James Albert Pomeroy, b 1925 Thorne Doncaster. (d. Aug 1982)

His parents were Albert Pomeroy (abt 1899) and Louisa Morris (b. abt 1903). I have their marriage certificate which states there respective parents were John Pomeroy, Policeman and Harry Morris, Leather dresser; they were married 25 Dec 1924, Bugley Church, Northumberland.

Then I'm stuck.

According to anecdotal evidence Albert Pomeroy was born in Ireland and ran off to war and joined the Irish guards. Theres no medal record to substantiate this, but I have written to the Guard's archive in the hope that there is something. He also may have been taken prisoner of war.

Albert's father John Pomeroy allegedly died in the troubles which I believe to be about 1920ish.

Louisa Morriss was born in Somerset but at the time of her marriage was living Elden Place, Lemmington, Northumberland. They both died Thorne, Doncaster.

I can't pinpoint either Louisa or Albert or Harry or John's births.

I cannot find either of the families in the 1901 or 1911 census.

Is my only hope either visiting Dublin or waiting for the Irish 1901/1911 census to come online?

I'm stuck and I really really want to help him get started.

Any help is appreciated....

T

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Pomeroy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi sparkle

I don' know if you have this birth. It may be yours but you have very little detail of the area.
Would it be worth £7 to find out if her father is Harry? You would get the mother  if it is correct.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Births Dec Quarter 1903
Morris Louisa Yeovil 5c 346

Can order online http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ if you didn't know.

Regards Wendy

VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Pomeroy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wendy,

I'd found that one, but thought it would be a bit of a long shot. But Maybe you are right, I should get the certificate. At least I'll then know if I its the right Louisa.

Thanks again

Tracey