Author Topic: Please look at this Horse photo-is it a whaler?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline tess1957

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Please look at this Horse photo-is it a whaler?
« on: Saturday 12 February 05 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wondered if anyone could give any info about this phot - i need additional clues about the whereabouts as its the only clue i have about where my GG Grandmother Sarah went when sheleft the UK - any suggestions welcome however small
thank you tess
Bigg-Newman-Williams-Latham-Ward-Green-Rouse-Huckstepp-

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please look at this Horse photo-is it a whaler?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Tess,
A whaler is a thoroughbred, I think, It is an old fashioned term from Australia, by the look of the trees in the background, it could be Australia. have you any other info, I could look her up.
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline tess1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thank you! people are so kind on this board.  Sarh left the UK after the 1891 census but before the 1901.  I am fairly confident that she didnt marry until arriving in ??  She was married in UK in 1881 to a Fitzherbert Williams.  They had a daughter in October 1889.  He died in February 1890.  She is living with her mother 1891 census.  The family legend is that she went to New Zealand but they werent known for their accuracy so am starting from scratch.  Several people have looked at photo and suggested that the horse looked like a whaler (Australian stocksmans horse) and that the saddle looks like a stock saddle because of the bit in front of the knee??  Im guessing that the horses and style of riding would have been similar in NZ and Australia?? but could be wrong of course.  On the back of the photo/postcard it has `postcard` in hungarian and portuguese as well as english, german, french and spanish so i though that might be a clue - an area with a large immigrant hungarian population perhaps??
Thanks for any help/input
Tess

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tess,
I have found this, I don't know if this is yours or not.
In Victoria, Australia.
SARAH ANN NEWMAN married Wm Hy Campbell in Carlton, 1898.
They had William Albert Campbell, South Melbourne, 1901.
and Arth Newman Campbell, South Melbourne, 1903.
SARAH ANN CAMPBELL died 1937 aged 59yrsin Pran: Vic
Father Chas Newman and Mother MaryAnn Unknown.
Remember, the info on death is only as good as the informants knowledge.
Sadly i have lost my cd that is Victorian pioneers, so I can't look up whether this Sarah was born in Australia or not. Naturally if she was born here,   it's not yours.
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline tess1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 05 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
thanks for your look up but i dont think shes mine - i think she would have married as Sarah Williams (widow)  She had no middle name to my knowledge - her father was George Newman and her mother Maria Newman (maiden name Stonard)  Sarah was born in Farnham Surrey 1862. 
Tess

Offline Wendy in W. Aust.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 09:22 GMT (UK) »
My 'Observer's Book of Horses and Ponies' (published about 1958) says of  the Australian Waler..."The foundation stock of the Waler was of Dutch and Spanish origin, with the oriental horses, the Arab and the Barb as the ultimate ancestors.   These original animals were small, and as the settlers had great need for riding horses and wanted the best, pure Arabs and English Thoroughbreds were imported.....It has been asserted with some justification that between Waterloo and the Crimea, Australia possessed probably the best saddle horse in the world, and during that period began to supply cavalry and artillery troop horses to India.  Racing, which first appeared in Ausralia in 1826, further helped to establish the Australian Horse, the breeding of which has spread in the natural course of time...but the name 'Waler' still applies to them all......The Waler has always been noted for jumping in his own country, high-humping competitions being a specialty at all shows......Australian horses are all shapes and sizes, including besides the Waler a draught-horse breed developed from three English strains - Clydesdale, Shire and Suffock Punch."   There is more, but I think the above covers the main points.  Hope it helps you.
Wendy in Western Australia.