Author Topic: O'DEA/FLYNN - Tracing Irish Ancestors!  (Read 5183 times)

Offline JacquiY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'DEA/FLYNN - Tracing Irish Ancestors!
« on: Saturday 12 February 05 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m tracing my family tree and I’m looking for anyone who may be able to help me with my research as I have no idea where to go from here.   

My Grandparents, Timothy O’DEA and Annie HUGHES were married in Aldershot in July 1939 (Timothy was in the Army).   Annie was originally from Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and Timothy was born in Newtown, Galbally, Co Limerick on 3rd July 1912.   I do have his birth certificate and his parents were Micheal O’DEA and Mary FLYNN.   The only other information I have is hearsay – he had a number of brothers; one called Thomas (who supposedly emigrated to Canada) and a sister called Mary (who moved to Kentish Town,  London.

I would love to hear from anyone who recognises any of these names or who could give me some assistance/advice on tracing Irish ancestors!

Cheers
Jax
WHELAN - DUBLIN
COWLEY - DUBLIN
O'DEA - TIPPERARY?
FLYNN - TIPPERARY?
HUGHES - STAFFORDSHIRE
TINGLE - STAFFORDSHIRE
MEIGH - STAFFORDSHIRE
WILLIAMS - STAFFORDSHIRE/GLOUCESTER
GREAVES - LEICESTERSHIRE

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: O'DEA/FLYNN - Tracing Irish Ancestors!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you have the birth certificate, it should have the district and county on it. If not, you can search for the birth in the indexes at the Dublin GRO or on film at your local family history centre. Once you know the district, you can look for the siblings and go further back to the parents marriage and beyond.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline JacquiY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 05 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate, thanks for replying.
The birth certificate says he was  born in Newtown, Galbally, Co Limerick.
I'm based in the North East of England with little chance of ever visiting the Dublin GRO - can you search the records online (I can predict the answer to that question is "No").   Do they offer to search the registers for you?
Regard
Jax
WHELAN - DUBLIN
COWLEY - DUBLIN
O'DEA - TIPPERARY?
FLYNN - TIPPERARY?
HUGHES - STAFFORDSHIRE
TINGLE - STAFFORDSHIRE
MEIGH - STAFFORDSHIRE
WILLIAMS - STAFFORDSHIRE/GLOUCESTER
GREAVES - LEICESTERSHIRE

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Guess what? No! Do you have a family history centre you can visit nearby (Mormon church?) or a cheap Ryanair airport?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline biddybarracks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 05 23:28 GMT (UK) »
You are so lucky! O'Dea is one of those surnames that if you have it, you're definitely part of the clan that has a castle in Co. Clare. Many O'Deas have contact with each other all over the world and they sometimes have reunions. You should try googling O'Dea and you just might find relatives who might have the answers you're looking for. Good luck!

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
So you have Timothy O'Dea born 1912; and some siblings, do you have the other's names? If born before him , then they and their parents, Michael O'Dea and Mary (Flynn) O'Dea should appear in the 1911 Census, (probably) at Galbally, co.Limerick. If you have other siblings names, the family should be fairly easy to identify - you say Timothy was born in Newtown, Galbally, so you have the townland and parish, which is good news.

Ages of Michael O'Dea and his wife : probably born sometime in the mid to late 1870's - although if it turned out Timothy had loads of siblings born before him in 1912, then the parents could be older than that.

As Kate said, if you have a Family HIstory Library near to where you live, you can go in and order the relevant microfilms for the census you require. There is a branch in Sunderland, for example.(I would think most branches will be on the verge of shutting down for xmas now).
Marriages usually took place in the bride's parish , but not always; good chance that the married couple took up residence in Mary Flynn's home parish.

Griffiths Valuation ( a nationwide survey which took place in early 1850's in Limerick) shows the name Flynn, and Dea (maybe O'Dea, not sure if same name), neither in Newtown, but these names would be of people old enough to own or lease land, so if connected , could be Timothy's grandparents or relatives to them :

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/limerick/galbally.htm

And finally, this site is good intro to how to go about tracing Irish ancestors:
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/index.cfm

Just  a few thoughts  - and good luck!

Cheers,
Mags

Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 06 01:40 BST (UK) »
Do you know where in Ireland the Flynns came from? I have a Catherine Flynn marrying John Donovan in Aldgate, London in 1858. Both said they were from Ireland on the census but it would be nice if I could geta rough idea where to look for Flynns.

Any info welcomed

Thanks
Matt

Offline biddybarracks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 06 12:11 BST (UK) »
Good luck, Matt! Unfortunately, Flynn is one of those names that is scattered all over the country. There are multiple origins for Flynn. Perhaps it might prove more productive if you located where in Ireland your John Donovan originated and try looking for Flynns there. I know that Catherine's family may have come from another part of Ireland but it might be easier starting from what you know. Most Flynns in Munster originated in the Muskerry area of Cork. However, that isn't to say that some of them weren't from up the country. Have you any extra information from their marriage entry? Anyway, try this link, it might give you some background information that might help: http://www.goireland.com/Genealogy/scripts/Family.asp?FamilyID=132.
Cynthia

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 August 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply

So far all I know about Catherine Flynn is that she married John Donovan in Aldgate, London in 1858 aged 17. Her father Daniel was dead (according to the certificate) and I don't know who her mother was although her name might have been Catherine. On the 1861 and 1871 census Catherine just gave her place of birth as Ireland.