Author Topic: tracing James Palmer before it is too late-modified post  (Read 11942 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: tracing James Palmer before it is too late-modified post
« Reply #45 on: Monday 09 February 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Kammy have you heard of the website http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

It is as the name suggests ,free  ;D

You can try and do a search or two yourself,it's such a buzz when you do find someone. It isn't fully transcribed as it's being done by lots of us volunteers,but is pretty much done to about 1920 now.

You could try and see if you can find James Palmer and Kathleen Dunne's marriage- in this case less is more- don't be too specific about dates or places,people always turn up when and where you weren't expecting them to be.

You've done very well so far haven't you  ;D

Good luck

Edit- maybe the marriage and Kathleen's birth occured in Ireland-can't see either on Free BMD  ::)

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 09 February 09 09:32 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for that I will try it now.
I seem to have gone down so many dead ends and followed wrong paths - I know I have a lot of information on ''other '' peoples relatives but whose I do not know?????? I have been following some really good red herrings...
here goes nothing....
kammy

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 09 February 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Goodness suz you've been busy ;D

he then married ( bigamously) a Dorothy Mayo(08.09.02 - 1975) in Manchester would the record of this marriage be deleted as it was discovered?

I can't work out if you ''strange beings'' do this as a job ? for love? or for pleasure?

Hi Kammy

I have no idea what happens when a bigamous marriage is discovered - do you have any idea when he would have married Dorothy? or when the bigamy was discovered?

Re us "strange beings" speaking for myself - a combination of pleasure and love with a huge helping of addiction thrown in  ;D ;D  Added - and of course as suz said payback for all the help I've received/am receiving for my own family

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 09 February 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi kammy,

Glad you found the info useful.

I can't find a marriage (or marriages) either one (or both) could have taken place in Ireland - but of course james could have used a different name!!!!!! Once a marriage (or birth or death) has been registered that registration cannot be removed -so somewhere there should be a record !!!

I hope you are getting used to looking at the free sites   its so good when you find some information yourself.

We RootsChatters do this for pleasure -and to repay for information which others have found and are still finding for ourselves

I am an insomniac -and so love to get involved during the wee small hours.

Plus of course -family history is soooooo addictive!!!

This is a brilliant site and very friendly - when you have time take a look around there are all kinds of boards from photo restoration to Armed forces .

We all have Trystram and Sarah to thank for this site

if you go to
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/aboutus.php

you can read some information on how the site came to be

and you can send Trystram and sarah a postcard if you wish!!!

If I find anything else I will post here (as will others)

Hope Dad is pleased having found his roots - even though they are a little complicated.

Happy hunting

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 09 February 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Stuck at great grandad cos he told lies and isnt who he said he is ! 

I've the same problem, but looking at what Suz has found out about James Palmer, I think I'll have to start thinking laterally.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 09 February 09 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Kammy

I've found James' WW1 medal card and am puzzled why it would have a red date stamp for 6 Jan 1979 on it ??? I will go and ask the experts on the armed forces board to have a look at it for you. Will add a link here when I've done that.

Jan ;)

Haven't done that as I see you have a post on the Armed Forces board anyway so will add the query to that

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline kammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 09 February 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
thanks Jan thats another avenue I have been hopeless at - except for finding the medal issued in 1918
kammy

Offline kammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 09 February 09 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Please forgive me all who have sent me emails today _I don't know how to reply to you as the organ grinder has popped out to walk the dog - he will reappear eventually?
I'm not sure who can read this but to answer all the questions I have seen.
The ''children''  all in the 70's are all correct from Mary to Marie so that is the right line ..maybe the Mayo Mayo  and the Mayo Palmer thing is because of the ''marriage'' ??? not sure how these things work.
James Palmers date of  birth WAS supposed to be 02.05.1891 but may actually have been 02.05.1886 according to last nights revelations.
His army number was 6786 and/or 3512622

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 09 February 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi kammy,

I think I have found james brother John leonard on 1911 census!!! using the name leonard !!!!

It may be worth you buying some credits and taking a look at the transcript or image

Transcripts cost 10 credits -image costs 30

I think it costs about £6-£7 for 60 credits- the only way any of us can look up for free is to go to kew

You can search the names for free

Remember John leonard Palmer married leah Griffiths??

If you search 1911
just put in leah Plamer (it is entered as such) born Birmingham

then in other members of household put leonard Plamer

they are resident in Birmingham

there is also Margaret palmer (correct spelling) age 13, Leah Palmer age 8, james age 6, John Leonard Palmer age 3 -and possibly some griffiths in same household

I found it by trial and error - but you need to purchase credits to see who is in the household

The transcripts and image will give all members of household, ages, occupations , address

Your Dad may want to know where his uncle John Leonard got to????

Would be good if we could find james in 1911 -but hes not showing - possibly he may have been in Ireland

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk