Author Topic: Jane McCullough- Methodist  (Read 17941 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Jane McCullough- Methodist
« on: Monday 09 February 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find the birth record of my great great grandmother Jane McCullough born in Armagh in the late 1860's. Her family were methodists, I believe from Markethill, where her father Alexander was a farmer. She married my great great grandfather John Thomas Hall in 1899 in Belfast at Crumlin Road Methodist Church.

Does anyone know of any resources for Armagh apart from Armagh Ancestry as I cant afford to spend £5 on looking up one record!

thanks very much
Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McCullough- Methodist
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Record Type Civil Birth
Date of Birth 3 Sep 1870
Name Margaret Jane MCCULLOUGH
Gender F
Fathers Name Alexander MCCULLOUGH
Mothers Forenames Isabella
Mothers Maiden Name FARRELL
Civil District  Newry
Sub District Tanderagee
County Armagh

the nearest i could find. 

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Like Maryderry I am having trouble finding this birth in Armagh. I can find three Jane McCulloughs in Co.Antrim and one in Co Down in 1867/1868

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your efforts- much appreciated!!! :)

Maybe she was born in Belfast- though she said on the census she was born in Armagh- maybe she wasnt sure and just put that down because her family were from there. In fact, I had alwas assumed she was born in Belfast in 1877 to Alexander McCullough and Maria Senior, but the facts she put down on the census make me think I made a mistake- she said she was 43 years old in the 1911 census making her born in 1868 or thereabouts.

Or- could it be that she didnt know her real date or place of birth???? Is that at all possible?

I have found lots of McCullough's in the Markethill Presbyterian records online.

Another question- would it be possible for some members of an extended family to be methodist and some to be presbyterian/church of ireland?

thank you so much for your help
Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
IGI has a birth for Jane McCullough born 17 July 1877 Belfast (parents Alexander McCullough & Maria Senior) and also Charles born 3 May 1880 Belfast.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Liscoole,
             Yes it is very possible for an extended family to profess different religions. For Protestants it was usual to get married in the bride's church and then for the family to follow the husband's religion. In the case of Protestant/Roman Catholic marriages, which were reasonably common before 1908, I think it was the case that daughters followed the mother's religion and boys the father. In 1908 a Papal instruction, Ne Temere, was issued where the Catholic church insisted that all children of a Catholic/Protestant marriage should be raised in the Catholic faith. It is unclear to me what effect this had on mixed marriages.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline XLaura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 09 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there ~

Just thought I'd throw in that I have family from Markethill, Co. Armagh with the name "McCalla", also "McCulla" ... specifically, Samuel, Eliza Jane Palmer McCalla, Anna Jane McCalla.  Samuel & Eliza Jane had two sons, Samuel & Robert.  Samuel kept McCalla while Robert went by McCall.  Both brothers emigrated to America and settled first in Ohio, then Indiana.  My line goes through Robert McCall.

Just a little FYI.  Good luck!
Gallagher - Co. Donegal
McPaul - Cratlagh, Co. Donegal
Swiney - Co. Donegal
Bradley - Co. Donegal
McCall/McCalla - Armagh
Gray/Grey - Armagh

Offline igloomonster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I would just add to this, that I am also descended from a "McCullagh" family of Armagh, who emigrated to Australia in 1863.  An Alexander McCullagh, wife Anna (nee Munro), and five children under 10!

They came from "Denihora" or "Derrahorra" (somewhat illegible), which I am told is now part of Mullaghbrack Parish, Markethill.

They were also buried in protestant cemeteries in Australia, e.g. CofE.

In the Queensland immigration shipping records, they are listed as McCulloch.

Fiona, Brisbane.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Fiona,
        Welcome to Rootschat. A couple of bits of information, some of which you may already have. The Townland is probably DERRYDORRAGH which is in the parish of EGLISH in the district of Armagh Town. Also

18 Nov 1851 Alexander McCulla married Anne Munro in Warrenpoint Church of Ireland, Newry Co.Down.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim