Author Topic: John BOWYER, a problem.  (Read 9742 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
John BOWYER, a problem.
« on: Monday 09 February 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
John Bowyer was born about 1789, possibly in Kedington, Suffolk, but it seems difficult to fit him into the known Bowyer family there.

In 1808 John marries a Hannah Missen in Carlton, Cambs.  Between 1810 and 1821 they have 5 children born in Brinkley, Cambs and in 1825 another child born in West Wratting, Cambs where they are still living in 1841.  John's age is given as 55.  In 1851 John & his wife and a grandson are living in Stetchworth, Cambs.  Here his age is given as 62 and his birthplace as Ketton, Suffolk.  Ketton is the local pronunciation of Keddington.  His occupation is given as blacksmith.

The obvious family would be that of Edmund (aka Edward) Bowyer of Kedington, who are also blacksmiths, but he doesn't fit.  Edmund married a Hannah Walliker in Kedington, Their children were John, born 1774, died 1781, William died Weston Colville 1797 and Edmund (also called Edward)  born 1785.  Hannah died 1786 and Edmund/Edward moved to Weston Colville, Cambs, where he married Mary Brown(e) in 1789.  Edmund & Mary had 6 children in Weston Colville, Mary born 1789, Anne born 1790 died 1791, Anne born 1791 died 1791, Anne born 1793 died 1794, Sarah born 1795 and Henry born 1798.  Mary died 1799 and Edmund in 1814. The Cambridgeshire information I have checked but can't check the Suffolk. Incidentally, the youngest son, Henry, was a blacksmith in Stetchworth in 1851 like John.

John doesn't seem to fit in the Keddington family so where did he come from & when?  Any ideas gratefully received.

Robert

FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bowyer, a problem.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
IGI shows the baptism of a John Bowyer bp.2/3/1783 Kedington, son of Edward/Hannah - this is an extracted entry not submitted so would seem to be correct and would tie in with the 1841 Census entry.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette, that looks fine.  For some reason IGI still refuses to admit his existence to me

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbo,

Out of curiosity I tried a search for John Bowyer in the IGI, using the name, year 1783, plus or minus 10 years, British Isles, England and Suffolk and like you no luck!  When I tried the same search but leaving the counties field as All Counties, the entry came up, weird.   ???

The entry also has a batch number C043714 attached, I clicked on the batch number and entered bowyer on the page that came up, there is another Bowyer shown, Mary Bowyer daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth baptised same date and of course same place, Kedington, as John.  While I was at it I tried a search for Bowyer marriages using M043714 but there appears to be no Bowyer marriages.

It's a bit disconcerting really because when I know what county an ancestor was born in that's what I put in the Counties field, I very rarely leave the Counties field as All Counties.  Looks as though it might pay me to try using an All Counties search for those ancestors I'm looking for who appeared to be not on the IGI.

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbo/findem

Can't understand the problems you've had.   When I found it first I'd done a search on IGI just putting in John Bowyer in Suffolk (being a Suffolk lass I knew there wouldn't be alot as not a common name here).

It brought up 17 entries - 10 births/baptisms and 7 marriages.   John bp.1783 Kedington was the 10th.

After reading of your problems I did another search putting in John Bowyer, 1783, Suffolk and up it came.   Spooky...........

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:30 GMT (UK) »
It gets weirder, putting  Bowyer in IGI search without a forename and county as Suffolk, it denies there are any in the county, going through the Family Search route it comes up with 352 Bowyer IGI entries for Suffolk, including John 1783.

Robert

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbo and Annette,

Something else I discovered some years ago by chance, carrying out a search in the IGI section of Family Search I got more results (including the one I wanted) than I got under the IGI heading of an All Resources search for the same person.  I have had a repeat of that same problem quite a number of times over the years, it looks as though there is some problem within the Family Search program, perhaps a random thing sometimes giving the full results sometime not.

Regards

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:48 GMT (UK) »
I find that to get the best results on IGI, I first click on Search Records, then highlight International Genealogical Index.

Lizzie

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

I think what you and I are both saying is the same thing, just a difference in how we get to the IGI section.  I think what you are referring to is the Family Search page that has on the left hand side a menu list with the headings All Resources, Ancestral File, IGI Pedigree Resources etc.  Being lazy, I've made myself a short cut in "Favorites", I made a folder named Family Search and saved those headings in it, so if I want to go straight to the All Resources or IGI etc I just click on that heading in "Favorites" and up it comes.  I'm glad someone else has found the same thing and that it's not just my computer or my brain playing up  ;D

Regards.