Author Topic: A Tailor  (Read 12874 times)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Tailor
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I think it's very likely that Mary Ann never knew her father, and possibly not even his name.  One of mine was christened the day her father was buried and she gave the wrong info when she married.

The IGI has
5 July 1860 at Kirklinton
George JOHNSON (son of Thomas) to Elizabeth MOFFAT (dau of Robert) - this was "your" Elizabeth - see 1851 HO107/2428/300/29 (Elizabeth 10 year old daughter of Robert and Mary).

Note also a baptism, 31 Aug 1862 at Kirklinton
Mary Ann JOHNSON, dau of George and Elizabeth

Perhaps he was in 1861
George JOHNSTON (mar) 29 Thread Spinner, Wigton (living in Whitehaven)

1871 again in Whitehaven
George JOHNSTONE (unm) 40 (No Occ given), Wigton

Baptism 19 Feb 1832 Wigton
George JOHNSON, son of Thomas and Margaret

The fact that Elizabeth reverted to her maiden name suggests to me separation rather than widowhood.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
I can't tell you how glad I am to hear from you; and have your help :)
I had become so bogged down in it all, that I obviously missed this vital bit of information! Thank you :)

Just to make sure that there wasn't a tailor, named George Johnson/Johnston, around at the time, I've checked the Cumberland directories from 1860s to 1890s - nothing, I'm afraid, cundy.

I see the family chops and changes the way it spells its' name - sometimes Moffat, and Moffit (I suppose that explains the info on freebmd for the marriage in Sep qtr 1860).

Geoff, you are right about Elizabeth's father's name - in fact, William And Elizabeth have a younger brother, Robert, living with them on one of the census.
For the record, Cundy, Elizabeth had the following siblings:
William bp 3 Aug 1834
John bp 16 Jul 1837
Robert and Mary Ann bp 15 Sep 1839  (may be twins - does not say)
Elizabeth bp 2 May 1841
Margaret bp 1 Jan 1843
Robert bp 25 Aug 1844
Parents: Robert and Mary
* It looks as if there may be a Jane born 1851, too - see family on 1871 census.
Batch: C048801

There is a George Johnson, born Scaleby bp 25 Apr 1815 (much older than Elizabeth) - he is the only one on the parish register; born to Anthony and Lucy. But, George could, of course, been born elsewhere.

I've looked through from about 1860 to 1911 for a suitable death of George Johnson, one which meets with either 1815 birth or a date nearer Elizabeth's - but nothing that jumps out (BUT please cjheck to see what YOU think).
Also, tried George Johnston - there is one which gives a baptism/birth date of 1815 in Sep 1866 qtr in Carlisle, + few others, including another one in the Carlisle district Jun 1876 (age 35 - which gives a birth of 1841 - similar ot Elizabeth's). But, they need carefully going through, and checking out, against census and baptism information, cundy.
If it was me I would buy that marriage certificate Geoff found in 1860 - it may save a lot of work!

Only other finding is a registration (at least I hope it is!) for the birth of Mary Ann Johnson. Couldn't find it registered in 1862, as baptism could indicate (though there are one or two round that date 1860- 1863, for Mary Mary Ann Johnston, so take a look at those).
This is the only Longtown one:
Births Sep 1860
JOHNSON Mary Ann   Longtown   10b   374.

Mary Ann seems to be the only baptism on the IGI that I can see, for Elizabeth's children - so Geoff may well be right, with his theory. I thinking your starting point has to be that marriage certificate, cundy.

I bet you're glad Geoff came on board - I know I am! Thank you so much, Geoff :)

Paulene :)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 February 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann seems to be the only baptism on the IGI that I can see, for Elizabeth's children - so Geoff may well be right, with his theory. I thinking your starting point has to be that marriage certificate, cundy.

As I said, George's father was named as Thomas (although we know we can't rely on what they say).

I find it interesting that George from Wigton decided he was unmarried by 1871 and, although married, had no wife around in 1861.

Perhaps he had moved inland to Crosthwaite in 1881 born "Wesward" (sic).

Thomas and Margaret JOHNSTON (with son George) were in Cockermouth/Brigham in 1841 and 1851.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 February 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Have you seen this one on the 1861 census? Living with his brother Thomas Johnston, and family at Rickergate, Carlisle:
George Johnston b. 1841, Longtown
RG9 Piece 3919  Folio 20  Page 33
*However, status unmarried

!851:  Longtown
With father Thomas (handloom weaver) and mother Anne
*has sister Margaret (might be a clue)
HO107  Piece 2425  Folio 211 Page 25

Baptism on IGI:
George Johnston
Baptised 04 Oct 1840, Arthuret, Cumberland
F. Thomas   M. Anne
Batch: C042992

Haven't tracked him down in 1871 yet.

What do you think, Geoff?

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 February 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I think he married Hannah CARRUTHERS Q3 1861 - marriage in IGI.

Find in 1871 at RG10/5220/100/24 - still a Commercial Clerk :(

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 February 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »
 :'( :'( :'(

But, thank you :)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 February 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
There's also the one from Burgh/Beamont/Beaumont 1840 - he can be accounted for in 1861 (unmarried) and 1871 (married Isabella WISHART 1865).

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 February 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Such a pity we haven't got the marriage certificate of George and Elizabeth - to tell us his father's occupation, etc (presuming, as you say, it is all true!)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 February 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Well, not coming up with anything new at the moment, so I decided to have a quick look on GenesReunited, just in case anyone is tracking the same family. And, it looks as if there may be (probably you, cundy!) - I wonder if that person has a copy of Elizabeth's wedding certificate, and is willing to share the details.
Need to rest my brain for a bit.
Catch up soon -  if any inspiration turns up.
Thanks for all your help, Geoff - wouldn't have got this far without you.