Author Topic: Completed,thanks.Abergavenny Workhouse Records. Thomas Howell(s), 1871 - 1876.  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
  Hi Everyone,

Is there a chance of a  Lookup please, in Abergavenny Workhouse Records, for information on my G G Gt Grandad Thomas Howell(s).

He was born in 1809 & raised inTrefonen, Nr Oswestry, Shropshire where he worked as a collier,he then worked for many years in Staffordshire , eventually ending his days in Abergavenny.

I have a death cert for him, showing him as dying on 13 Jan 1876 in the Union Workhouse, Abergavenny and I now know that he is buried in Abergavenny Cemetery.

The only gap I still have  left in Thomas' history is the 5 years  from 1871 Census, where he shows as  lodging with a family in Blaenavon,  until when/why he entered the Workhouse in Abergavenny and his subsequent death in  Abergavenny Workhouse in 1876.

Is there a kind person in the Cwmbran area who might be able to visit the Gwent Record office for me and lookup information  through the Abergavenny Workhouse Admissions/Discharge/Minutes Registers (period between 1871 - 1876)which are held there ?

I have no chance of getting there myself so I have nothing to lose in hoping someone out there may be able to help.

It would mean a great deal to me to know why Thomas was in the Workhouse and any other information  that may be recorded about him.

I would love to be able to complete the small history I have built up for my Gt Gt Grandad Thomas Howell (s).

I hope this request may enable me to do that.

Thanks very much

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abergavenny Workhouse Records. Thomas Howell(s), 1871 - 1876.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
 Hi Barbara,
I am also researching G G Grandfather Thomas Howells who lived in the areas you mentioned and was wondering if we looking for information on the same Howells family. Did your Thomas Howells marry Martha Watkins and have a son called George. Would love to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Mariesa

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Mariesa,

Nice to hear from you.

At this stage I'm not sure if there is a possible connection  to my GGGrandad.

I do know he married my Gt Gt Grandma Jane Thomas in 1836 but she died in 1860, leaving him a Widower at the age of 49.

I suppose it's  possible that he married again and had another family - he was still young enough, but I have no information in that regard and nothing to indicate that possibility on the 1871census which shows him as a Widower..

I just know that he died in Abergavenny Workhouse in 1867.

What other information do you have about your Thomas Howells that might link in somewhere?

Great fun this research, isn't it !!

Regards

Barbara.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
the record office is closed temporarily while it moves to Ebbw Vale. No date for re-opening as yet.

http://www.torfaen.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/GwentRecordsOffice/Home.aspx
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
Yes it is fun sometimes. I don't think there's a connection with Thomas Howells afterall. My Thomas was born in Shropshire 1819, married Martha Watkins in Llangattock 1844. They had several children, my grandfather George was born in Llangattock 1852 before Thomas and Martha moved to Blaenafon.

I've been trying to connect with other branches of Howells for many years without success.

Best Wishes
Mariesa

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Mariesa,

Unfortunately it does appear that there is no connection with our 'Thomas Howells', they are cerainly different families.

I do know that in the part of Shropshire - Oswestry area, where my Thomas Howells came from, there were a number of Howell families living there at that time, various branches - cousins etc, so don't give up yet.

I have bits of information on some of them but not enough to be able to link with your family.

If I do come across anything that I think might be helpful to you I'll get in touch.

Good Luck with the research

Cheers

Barbara.