Author Topic: PARISH RECORDS IN BEVERLEY  (Read 988 times)

Offline geordiewesterby

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Westerby, 11th Hussars, my great great uncle
    • View Profile
PARISH RECORDS IN BEVERLEY
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a listing on the IGI for a christening for ELIZABETH WESTERBY, 22 Dec 1788, at St Mary & St Nicholas in Beverley, which I would like to view the parish record of, but I live in North Shields, so if anyone has access to those parish records, would appreciate any help I can get.

Also, a marriage on 08 Jan 1810 between Elizabeth Westerby and Thomas Westerby at St John & St Martin in Beverley.

Or does anyone know of the nearest place to Newcastle where this info is available 

Thanks

David
NORTHUMBERLAND/DURHAM: Westerby, Kirkland, Younghusband, Brown, Beck, Leith, Dixon, Gilroy, Roseburgh, Sheriff, Shield, Turnbull, Renwick
YORKSHIRE: Westerby
CANADA: Delahoy, Westerby

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: PARISH RECORDS IN BEVERLEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I looked these up at the Beverley Records Office this morning.

I'm afraid there wasn't much additional information for the baptism - 22 December 1788 St Mary & St Nicholas, Beverley, Elizabeth Westerby, daughter of John. It does give his occupation, but it's a very scratchy and cramped entry. It looks for all the world like 'Headdresser'!

Married by licence at St John, Beverley  Jan 8 1810
Thomas Westerby of the parish of Brotherton &
Elizabeth Westerby of this parish.

Both signed their names.

I had a bit of a problem with the names of the witnesses - the surnames were very difficult to decipher but my best guess -

Thomas Wharrill & Rachel Julian.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Brotherton as it didn't ring any bells as to being anywhere around Beverley - it's not! It's near Castleford and Knottingley.

Hope that's some help.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.