Author Topic: Link: Marriage Index for Yorkshire Joiner marriage index  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Link: Marriage Index for Yorkshire Joiner marriage index
« on: Monday 16 February 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a very usefull site if you cannot get to the Archives.

http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/marriage-records/search
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Index for Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's useful but no more useful than Family Search, and you have to pay for it, before you see the records.  I did a search some time ago for the Archbell name,  and it came up with 24 entries for the East Riding, and I paid for them.  I then had to pay again for the West Riding ones.

When the list came up they were all the same names that I had extracted from the IGI, and gave no more information than is available there.  So be careful!!

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 February 09 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bumble :)

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Though all marriage, Birth/ Bapts and Deaths are welcome sources . Some do charge within most researches means! The best way after using this great website is the local studies libraries mostly free for a limited 1/2 hour look up with good info given too them by the researcher and lots on computers, also in books index! so they can find them fast. Then most 'Family history societies' give computer look ups and book transcrition index with out expence of membership. Yet like anything money talks.** The number of people who will not buy Certificates! but will expect other people to go to libraries to look up! at the own expence amazes me**, also they are the ones who will email back arguing or complaining about how a poor quaulity these copies of parish registers  are  yet ! free to them at others expence and  goodwill. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm:  I quite agree that the charge for Joiners is quite small, but my main point was that the information was almost exactly the same as the IGI entries, for the marriages I looked at.  Since then I have checked the entries in the parish registers themselves and in the majority of the cases there was more information to be had.  I suppose I was querying where Paul Joiner had gleaned his information, and then decided to charge for it!  There is absolutely no substitute for looking at the registers for yourself, but not all of us live in the area we are researching.  I live in Staffordshire, but the majority of my research is in Yorkshire.  Whilst I rely quite heavily for the initial searches on the internet, I do have long lists of confirmations to be made on the occasions when I can get into Yorkshire, together with a list of parish record films to be hired from my local LDS centre.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bumble B

I just payed £4 for a marriage look up with BMSGH Warwick/Birmingham. 100% success. This marriage was nowhere (Been looking years) in any websites and even Nunearon FHS could not find it in Merevale in War/hire. It was a last desperate hope! as it was main line GGGGddad stuff and ment a lot. So As above post. We are opposites and paths must cross! as I'm in Huddersfield Yorkshire and my family research is Warwickshire Staffordshire and Derbyshire Mums side.

IGI is great for primary but can't rely on as there are lots of names not in the IGI, Thus only by original register of the parishs of all denomination checked too be sure, more on pre 1841c-1837 start.

What part of yorkshire are your ancestors ?. I'm looking Lichfield Staffs. Just now! can we help each other.

Dob
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob:  I'm sure we can help each other.  If you want to send me a PM with your Lichfield queries, I'll see what I can do.  I only live in Tamworth, and am on "seven-day weekends" so it's not a problem.  Also my local LDS Centre is in Lichfield so I go there at least once a week!

My lot are West Riding - Tadcaster to Halifax and surrounds.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 09 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bumbleb

Tadcaster is in my range. Halifax! can roll down the hill too. I'm retired 24/7 freetime.

I'll send you a Pm and Email address.

Funny thing though! I was talking to Revmother2 on this website and she made a great long sorted find! my reply was 'The Lord as answered'. On the news of better weather and at 3am set off for Warwick records office last tuesday got home at 10 pm Naf! 330 mile round trip.  I went on roots web with this in mind!! to find someone to swap area look ups! with no success, then just browsing round found! your marriage reply post. I had no idea you came from there or had Yorkshire ancestors.
Expect Pm soon with my  couple of look ups tomorrow.
Send yours Pm
Dob

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
That driver maybe driving some nutty in his round about way but by god! he gets results. how! He knows that buzzing B