Author Topic: Nicknames  (Read 10852 times)

Offline Wilbs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicknames
« on: Tuesday 17 February 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
My family (Allman ex Malpas, Frodsham & Ellesmere Port) had a favourite dozen or so Christian names which were repeated every generation.  It was not unusual for siblings to use the same names resulting in 3-4 cousins all named Mary, as well as Aunts, Mothers, Grandmothers, etc.

To identify individuals, nicknames, middle names or abreviations were often used. Some are easily identified:  John = Jack, Richard = Dick, Mary = Polly, but others are more difficult to interpret. 

Also some census reports have abbreviated the name.  I've assumed that Wm = William and Js = James, but again other abbreviations are beyond me.

What names have fellow rootschatters found that have help unravel their families? 

Thank you

Wilbs

Offline Antonden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a 'Polly' Allmand and that name occurs regularly in the Allmans. Her father was a 'Jack'. Hannah/Ann/Annie are interchangeable.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Mary`s pet name was Molly.
Selena`s was Lena.
Alice was Lal.
Margaret was Peggy.
 Sarah Anne was Seran
Dorothy was Dot
 Laurence was Lol.
Jonathan was Jon.
John was Jack.

Pretty obvious really. Not always found on census returns etc.                                                 
 One person is listed as Saml, but it looks like  Leml  his name was Samuel but most annoyingly I can`t get someone who has the family tree online to change it from Leml to Samuel
 Viktoria.

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
i have ancestors use so many names one being my great great great grandmother Mary Ann daly that used Mary Ann, Ann or Nora/Norah and her sister honora used Ann. ive also got some that used John but called their selfs Jack. or Helens calling thier selfs Ellens and malcolms being called Mac or Max

cyanda

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
 my mum remembers her father calling some of his "sisters" sissy, tootie and tiny
cyanda

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
"Mary" could also be Polly, Molly, Moll, Marie, May, in fact when a name's in doubt it seems to have been an affectionate shortening of Mary, in the families I've researched. "Margaret" in my mobs resulted in Mags, Meg, Maggie, Margery, Mads, Meggie.....
"Elizabeth/Elisabeth" seemed to morph into Liz, Liza, Eliza, Lizzie, Elspeth, Isabell (which I'd always thought of was always a distinct name on its own, until I found it being used almost alternately on censuses for the same lassie, Beth, Bettie, Betty, Bess, Bessie ....
A confusion I had, one ancestor I'd thought I knew the name of her, until I saw an official document, "Cis", I'd assumed was short for Cecily or Cecilia - it turned out to be "Cis - for Sister", as the oldest of a brood, that was how she was known to the entire family. No wonder I'd not been able to find her birth. She turned out to be "Annie Elizabeth".
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have:
Pepgy...Margaret
Nellie...Ellen
Jos...Josiah
Kay...Kathleen
Ned...Edward
Nessie...Agnes
Ciss...Cynthia
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 15 03:47 BST (UK) »
My aunt Agnes Ann was Aunty Sally!

And I indexed a death/funeral the other day (for Ryerson) for a Margaret who was known as Marje ??

I'm continually surprised, with this indexing, at the odd names people are sometimes known by, which appear to have no relevance to the first name or their surname   :)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 15 04:02 BST (UK) »
I knew a person whose given name was Olga.  She was always called Paula.

I have a Nancy for a Mary
Several others as already noted on above posts
One of my grandfather's always called me Trixie

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections