Author Topic: Catherine Brownlee  (Read 2065 times)

Offline centre stand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Brownlee
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help? I've just found my first Irish ancestor, all i know is her name Catherine Brownlee and that she was born in Tipparary abt 1854.  She married David Baillie in Lanarkshire, Scotland on 17 Nov 1876.  Just hoping someone can help me out with a bit more info on her.

Thanks, Ian
Runciman, Souness, Henderson, Hunter, Jaffary, Rugg, Golightly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Brownlee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Civil registrations of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate but she could have had a younger sibling born after 1864 whose birth was registered (birth certificates list exact place of birth- townland- which might allow you to find church records, etc.).
Do you have the parents' names? if not, they should be listed on Catherine's Scottish marriage certificate which you should be able to view online with credits from Scotland's People website.
Once you have the parents' names it would be worthwhile checking for them in Scottish census records (before and after Catherine's marriage) in case the whole family moved to Scotland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Brownlee
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 February 09 10:09 GMT (UK) »
the surname distribution for Brownlee (1850s) show most were in the northern part of the island :

1.      Armagh      31   
2.      Antrim      25   
3.      Fermanagh      23   
4.      Down      14   
5.      Tyrone      4   
6.      Cavan      3   
7.      Dublin      1   
8.      Monaghan      1 

variations include Brownlea/Brownlees/Brownless, Brownley also maybe Branley, Branly, Brannelly and Brenly...

All have much the same distribution. One of the Brownley entries is from King's Co./Offaly.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests