Author Topic: The Black Horse Pub, Winchester St. Salisbury  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
The Black Horse Pub, Winchester St. Salisbury
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for info on my wife's Great Grandfather George Russell and the public house where he was the licensed victualler. The pub is the Black Horse, 18 Winchester Street, Salisbury but I can find no mention of it today. There is a Black Horse in Castle Street which is very near but its not the one. I have a birth cert for his son Ronald Russell born 1905 with the Black Horse mentioned as place of birth.
Does anyone know of this place and is there any access to the licensed victualler list for that time
Any input would be great
Cheers
Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Horse Pub, Winchester St. Salisbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westy,
Someone once did a  study on Salisbury pubs and listed landlords.  It's in Salisbury reference library. I will pop up there tommorrow and have a look for you.
Julie
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Julie, that would be great
Westy otherwise Steve !!
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I had a look at 'Inns of Salisbury' by Roland Graham Gordon.  4 large files of handwritten info.
Unfortunately,  his info on The Black Horse only goes up to 1843.   His info starts in 1620, when a William Gold was proprietor.  Apparently the pub was also known as The Star and Garter for part of its history.  To quote from Gordon "1775 The Star and Garter changed to the Black Horse again by George Webb the proprietor.  It had stabling for 50 horses and was the starting place for several coaches. "

I also looked in the local directories.  Unfortunately, your ancestor didn't choose to be included in Kelly's, which the library has a good collection of.
Langmead and Evan's Directory of Salisbury 1897 - 8, has under 'Inns': Black Horse, Winchester Street, A Biss, Proprietor.  On another page, under the alphabetical listings, it has him as 'A Bist'.

The next mention I can find of the pub is in Brown's Directory for 1912.  Black Horse, Winchester Street, proprietor A J Gould.  The street listing in the same publication  shows that the Black Horse, no 18 is on the south side of Winchester Street, on the corner of Brown Street.
The next directory that the library has is for 1925, and this shows no 18 is occupied by Courtney & son, Furniture Dealers.

Attached is a photo of the building today.  I'm not sure if the present building dates back to 1620, but it certainly would have been there in 1905 when your ancestor was  born.  It is now a hairdressers.  The photo isn't great as I took it on my phone.  I will take another next time I have my camera with me.

If I come across any more info about the pub I will let you know.
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I am just adding a quote from 'Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury, Vol 1'. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England).

"Houses and Shops, Nos. 1 Brown Street and 18-22 Winchester Street, respectively of two and of three storeys with brick walls, plain sashed windows and tiled roofs, are the W and N ranges of the former Black Horse Inn; they were built c1770. Part of the brick pavement of the inn yard remains between the two ranges, and the walled up carriage entry from Winchester Street is indicated by an ellipitical arch in the N front of No 18.  Inside, some 18th century joinery remains."

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
what fantastic info you have found for me, thank you very much, the photo is pretty good as well.
I knew rootchatters would come up trumps as usual
Cheers
Steve
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline nicky c

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

The lady who ownes the Hairdressers is one of my customers and I could ask her if she knows anything.
                                     Nicky

Ps George Webb is in my family I just haven't got the info to link him directly in.

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky
any info would be great if that's possible.
Particularly interested in George Russell as he eventually committed suicide by cutting his throat !!!!
Cheers
Steve
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
Steve
I came across a photo of the building when it was in a pub.  I can't post it here, as it is in a book and I don't know who the copyright belongs to, but if you want to see it pm me with your email address.
Julie

Hi Nicky
I guesss you are a Salisbury resident too?