Author Topic: Completed with Thanks - James Udall in parish records  (Read 7913 times)

Offline buddha

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks - James Udall in parish records
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking for information probably only through parish records on my g.g.g.grandfather James Udall.  He was born in Kendall, Westmorland C1780/81.  He married Isabella (isabel) nee stubbs (born C1776) on the 20th Feb 1797 at Ravenstonedale. His occupation was a tailor.  They had two children Joseph C1811, my gg.grandfather and Isabella C1813. During the 1841 census they lived at Strickland Gate Kendall. It would be good if I could find the names of his parents, his birth records etc.  I realise I am asking a lot but you don,t get anything without trying do you?  Many thanks buddha.    COMPLETED. Thank you
SHEFFIELD:  hobson, bacon, pashley, sharman, brook(s) brooke(s), wilford, slingsby, lee, flint, fowlston(e), Foulston(e), wheatley, taylor, ward.
RAVENSTONEDALE/KENDAL:  udall
MALTON: udall, ruddock, hudson
WOLVERHAMPTON/STOKE ON TRENT: brook(s), brooke(s)
DONCASTER:  slingsby, bagshaw, steph(v)enson, scofield, foster, pashley, stanley.
DERBY: lee
BRADFORD: wilford
ROTHERHAM: straw, frost, shaw, higgins, fowlston(e), foulston(e), flint, pashley, hobson

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: parish records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buddha
How do you know he was born in Kendal?   Did he survive to the 1851 census?   Otherwise I would have thought it was a good bet that he was from Ravenstonedale as the IGI has several Udall entries for there but none for Kendal.  Surely there were more children too?   To be married in 1797 and not have children until 1811 is most unusual.
You may need to widen your birth date for searches too as he is 60 in 1841.  In that census all ages were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 so he could be up to 64 and Isabella, who is 65, could be up to 69.
This is not going to be easy as there is another James Udall born in Ravenstonedale at about the same time so it would be easy to confuse them.   What did he call the children that you know about?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I think he did survive to 1851.
HO107 2442 192 27    Entry? Lane Kendal  (off Stricklandgate)
Henry Thompson 43 Grocer b Cumberland Kirkoswald
Mary wife 45 b Kendal
Joseph son 16 Clogg Maker's App
Raechel Mary dau 7
Henry son 3
Sarah Ann dau 1 month all kids born Kendal
James Udale father in law widr 74 Tailor born Ravenstonedale
Elizabeth  ??? serv 19  cannot make out her surname.

Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Mary Udale was born 8 Feb 1806 and baptised 9 March 1806 at Kendal - daughter of James and Isabell according to an extracted record on the IGI so at least one more child for them.    There is a member submitted entry giving her marriage to Henry in 1834.
Joseph Thompson's baptism is on 10 Aug 1834 in Kendal and again there is a submitted entry with approximate date, as there is for each of the other children, so a member of the LDS church is obviously researching the Thompson family and maybe the Udalls too.
Andrea

Offline buddha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea for all information which I will look into .  The reason I say he was from Kendall was because it was listed as so on the 1841 census.  Will also look for more children as you suggested.  Once again many thanks for all your help Pat

The children I know about are just the ones I mentioned, Joseph 1811 and Isabella 1813
SHEFFIELD:  hobson, bacon, pashley, sharman, brook(s) brooke(s), wilford, slingsby, lee, flint, fowlston(e), Foulston(e), wheatley, taylor, ward.
DONCASTER:  slingsby, bagshaw, steph(v)enson, scofield, foster, pashley, stanley.
ROTHERHAM: straw, frost, shaw, higgins, fowlston(e), foulston(e), flint, pashley, hobson

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 does not show place of birth - only where they lived at the time and whether they were born in or out of the county.
Andrea

Offline buddha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Andrea.  On the 1841 census transcription details it states the registration district is Kendal and the parish is Kendal and the address as Strickland Gate, Kendal  (Findmypast).  Also on the birth of Isabella Udal 17th Aug 1813 the address is Strickland Gate Wesleyan Methodist, Kendal.  (latter Day Saints) Am I assuming too much?  Thanks Andrea.  Pat

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buddha,

In the PRs for Ravenstonedale the marriage is:

20 Feb 1797
James Udal (x) & Isabel Stubbs (x) by Banns, Witnesses: William Stubbs & John Wilkinson.

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Andrea.  On the 1841 census transcription details it states the registration district is Kendal and the parish is Kendal and the address as Strickland Gate, Kendal  (Findmypast).  Also on the birth of Isabella Udal 17th Aug 1813 the address is Strickland Gate Wesleyan Methodist, Kendal.  (latter Day Saints) Am I assuming too much?  Thanks Andrea.  Pat
Yes indeed that is all correct but, and it is a big BUT, it does not state place of birth for James.  Kendal is where he is living in 1841 and that is as far as it goes.  The 1851 census is the first one to give a place of birth for each person and in that he is shown as born in Ravenstonedale.   He obviously moved to Kendal after his marriage so his children are born in Kendal but he is not.
Hope that makes it clearer!
Andrea