Author Topic: Pemilia (Green?) Montreal Canada  (Read 5369 times)

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pemilia (Green?) Montreal Canada
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
KarenM

That is astounding, perhaps we should run a poll on how many Brummie Canadians fought in the Canadian Expeditionary Force!!
I am sure that Carl Chinn would find it of interest.

Henery :o :o :o
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
William the shipper, according to his marriage doc, Jan 10 1894, St George Anglican Montreal, William Herring, bachelor, son of Charles James Herring of London and Mary Ridley his wife, married Mary Ellen Fox, spinster, daughter of John Fox of Connaught Ireland and Sara Donahue his wife.

At the 1911 census this Herring family is living at 50a Dominion Avenue. The wife seems to be using her maiden name somehow, which has been mistranscribed as Rox, and the 4 children are mistranscribed as Hersing.

In the 1913/1914 Lovell’s Montreal directory William Herring the shipper is living at 50a Blake. William Herring the blacksmith is living at 251 Hamilton.

Looking at a map, I see that Blake is in Montreal proper just on the edge of Atwater, a major road. Hamilton is in a completely different area, a couple of miles away and south of the Lachine Canal which cuts through the Island of Montreal. Usually relatives who arrive in a new country settle nearby to any family who are already there. I have heard that in Saint John, New Brunswick, you can tell which part of Ireland a family came from just by knowing what street they are living on.

So…no obvious connection between the two Williams.

Other Herrings: There is a JH Herring on Brock. Of all the streets the Montreal Herring families are living on, Brock is the nearest to Hamilton, also south of the Lachine Canal and just a few streets over.

I’ll post this now because it’s getting longwinded, but I’m still working on it. Like I don’t have any housework to do… :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 05 March 09 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Chapter 2 :)...

So…John H Herring who lived on Brock in 1912 was born in Quebec, and his wife also. But his father Robert, living with them at the 1901 census, is from England…born in 1833 and immigrated in 1836 so that’s pretty early…

The other Herrings located in Montreal at the 1911:

H Herring, f, born 1877 England, apparently a live-in employee
Idola?, born Quebec
Leslie, born Quebec
Robert, John’s father is still living in 1911, born in England and according to this census immigrated in 1860. In 1911 he is living with R. W. Herring and identified as his father. So John and RW are brothers, both born in Quebec.

That seems to be it for the censuses. The 1921 Montreal has our William living at 2431 Jacques Hertel, just around the corner from his later residence on Drake, and is apparently an employee of CCC. I have no idea what that is…there are a bazillion things the letters can  stand for according to a list of acronyms (including the Composting Council of Canada).

Over to you, Henery :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
chinakay

I have been looking at census's in England tracing the family of William.His father also a William J. Herring is listed together with his mother Georgina in 1881,1891 and 1901 but they are not in 1911. His father was born 1864, Occupation Blacksmith.
Do you think it is feasible that he together with Georgina had emigrated sometime between 1901 and 1911 and asked his son William to join him?

Henery
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
William Jr arrived at Montreal aboard the ship Virginian July 28 1911, alone. Never been to Canada before. No notation that he was joining family in Canada...there isn't a specific column for it on the ship's passenger manifest but a notation was often made, as for a couple of other passengers on the page.

I didn't find Georgina and William in either of the two accesses I have to the Canadian 1911. I did a search for Georgina no-last-name, born in England and none of the 21 of them look remotely like Herring.

No Georgina & William Herring in the whole of Canada in 1911, in fact :-\

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 06 March 09 18:04 GMT (UK) »
chinakay

I have been looking at census's in England tracing the family of William.His father also a William J. Herring is listed together with his mother Georgina in 1881,1891 and 1901 but they are not in 1911. His father was born 1864, Occupation Blacksmith.
Do you think it is feasible that he together with Georgina had emigrated sometime between 1901 and 1911 and asked his son William to join him?

Henery

Hello again Henery
My first search for the Herring family on the 1911 census didn't find William or Georgina either, but the next search looking for their younger children seen in the 1901 found Frederick Arthur b abt 1894 living in Aston (could be a match with the name and age from one of the children on 1901 census)

When I tried a different search for Herring born 1864 +/- 2, living Warks
Results showed
Georgeina Madela, F, b abt 1865, age 46, residence Aston
William James, M, b abt 1864, age 47, residence Aston

This looks like your family.
I don't know why they didn't show on my earlier search which should have included them. Perhaps there are flaws in results shown for some types of searches!!!

Regards
Angela

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 08 March 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angelan
Thanks for your info about William Jrs. parents. Well this lays my theory of going to blaze the trail to Montreal to rest.
Besides  his parents I have found one of his brothers, Charles living in Aston in 1911.He is listed as a widower. He was also a Blacksmith.
I am currently tracing Williams roots and have found it very interesing. I believe his heritage via his Great Grandmother Elizabeth Kingston goes as far back as 1607!!
This thing called Genealogy becomes quiet addictive. Suddenly I have family asking me questions about the  history of relatives I had never heard of. As I mentioned before you have opened up a Pandora,s box. 8)